Tribological properties of carbon-nanotube-reinforced copper composites
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tribological properties of carbon-nanotube-reinforced copper composites were investigated using a pin-on-disk test rig under dry conditions. The composites containing 4–16 vol% carbon nanotubes (CNTs) were fabricated by a powder-metallurgy technique. The tests were carried out at normal loads between 10 and 50 N, and the effect of volume fraction of CNTs on tribological behavior of the composites was examined. The composites revealed a low coefficient of friction compared with the copper matrix alloy. Due to the effects of the reinforcement and reduced friction, the wear rate of the composites decreased with increasing volume fraction of CNTs at low and intermediate loads. The composites with a high volume fraction of CNTs exhibited high porosity and their wear resistance decreased under high-load conditions.
- F.S. Robert, Science 281 (1998) 940.
- G. Overney, W. Zhong and D. Tomanek, Z. Phys. D 27 (1993) 93.
- J.P. Solvetat, J.M. Bonard, N.H. Thomson, A.J. Kulik, W. Benoit and L. Zuppiroli, Appl. Phys. A 69 (1999) 255.
- S. Iijima, J. Chem. Phys. 104 (1996) 2089.
- R. Saito, M. Fijita, G. Dresselhaus and M.S. Dresselhaus, Appl. Phys. Lett. 60 (1992) 2204.
- T. Kuzumaki, K. Miyazawa, H. Ichinose and K. Ito, J. Mater. Res. 13 (1998) 2445.
- X. Chen, J. Xia, J. Peng, W. Li and S. Xie, Composite Sci. Technol. 60 (2000) 301.
- O. Lourie and H.D. Wanger, Composite Sci. Technol. 59 (1999) 975.
- S.R. Dong and X.B. Zhang, Tribology 19 (1999) 1 (in Chinese).
- M.A. Zam Zam, Metallurgy 43 (1989) 1158.
- J.P. Tu, L. Meng and M.S. Liu, Wear 220 (1998) 72.
- Y. Sahin and S. Murphy, Wear 214 (1998) 98.
- N.S. Poonawala, A.K. Chakrabarti and A.B. Chattopadhyay, Wear 162 (1993) 580.
- A. Wang and H.J. Rack, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 147 (1991) 211.
- Tribological properties of carbon-nanotube-reinforced copper composites
Volume 10, Issue 4 , pp 225-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- carbon-nanotube-reinforced copper composites
- coefficient of friction
- wear rate
- Industry Sectors