On the preconditioning of matrices with skew-symmetric splittings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The rates of convergence of iterative methods with standard preconditioning techniques usually degrade when the skew-symmetric part S of the matrix is relatively large. In this paper, we address the issue of preconditioning matrices with such large skew-symmetric parts. The main idea of the preconditioner is to split the matrix into its symmetric and skew-symmetric parts and to “invert” the (shifted) skew-symmetric matrix. Successful use of the method requires the solution of a linear system with matrix I+S. An efficient method is developed using the normal equations, preconditioned by an incomplete orthogonal factorization.
Numerical experiments on various systems arising in physics show that the reduction in terms of iteration count compensates for the additional work per iteration when compared to standard preconditioners.
- Axelsson, O. (1985) A survey of preconditioned iterative methods for linear systems of algebraic equations. BIT 25: pp. 166-187
- Axelsson, O. (1994) Iterative Solution Methods. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge
- Bruaset, A.M. (1995) A Survey of Preconditioned Iterative Methods. Longman Scientific & Technical, London
- P. Concus and G.H. Golub, A generalized conjugate gradient method for non-symmetric systems of linear equations, in: Second Internat. Symposium on Computing Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, 1975, p. 10.
- Duff, I.S., Grimes, R.G., Lewis, J.G. (1992) User's guide for the harwell-boeing sparse matrix collection. CERFACS, France
- Eiermann, M., Niethammer, W., Varga, R.S. (1992) Acceleration of relaxation methods for non-Hermitian linear systems. SIAM J. Math. Anal. Appl. 13: pp. 979-991
- Golub, G.H., Van Loan, C.F. (1996) Matrix Computations. Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore, MD
- Golub, G.H., Wathen, A. (1998) An iteration for indefinite systems and its application to the Navier-Stokes equations. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 19: pp. 530-539
- Jennings, A., Ajiz, M.A. (1984) Incomplete methods for solving A T Ax = b. SIAM J. Sci. Statist. Comput. 5: pp. 978-987
- Niethammer, W., Varga, R.S. (1989) Relaxation methods for non-Hermitian linear systems. Results Math. 16: pp. 308-320
- Nour Omid, B., Dunbar, W.S., Woodbury, A.D. (1991) Lanczos and Arnoldi methods for the solution of convection-diffusion equations. Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg. 45: pp. 75-95
- Saad, Y. (1988) Preconditioning techniques for indefinite and nonsymmetric linear systems. J. Comput. Appl. Math. 24: pp. 89-105
- Saad, Y. (1994) ILUT: A dual treshold incomplete ILU factorization. Numer. Linear Algebra Appl. 1: pp. 387-402
- Y. Saad, Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems (PWS Publishing Company, 1996).
- G.W. Stewart, Two algorithms for the efficient computation of truncated pivoted QR approximations of sparse matrices, Technical Report TR–98–12, Computer Science Department, University of Maryland (1998).
- van der Vorst, H.A. (1982) A generalized Lanczos scheme. Math. Comp. 39: pp. 559-561
- Wang, X., Gallivan, K.A., Bramley, R. (1997) CIMGS: An incomplete orthogonal factorization preconditioner. SIAM J. Sci. Comput. 18: pp. 516-536
- Zlatev, Z. (1982) Comparison of two pivotal strategies in sparse plane rotations. Comput. Math. Appl. 8: pp. 119-135
- Zlatev, Z., Nielson, H.B. (1988) Solving large and sparse linear least squares problems by conjugate gradient algorithm. Comput. Math. Appl. 15: pp. 185-202
- On the preconditioning of matrices with skew-symmetric splittings
Volume 25, Issue 1-4 , pp 223-239
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- incomplete orthogonal
- Industry Sectors