Object-Oriented Design Structures in Web Application Models
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, we discuss different object-oriented design structures that should be used in the process of building Web applications. We base our discussion on the OOHDM approach for defining a Web application model, in particular, the separation of the navigational model from the conceptual model. We focus on the systematic application of different design patterns (such as Observer and Decorator) for decoupling different aspects of a Web model. We briefly discuss some specific patterns that may appear in this kind of applications and we introduce additional concepts such as Web frameworks as a conceptual approach to maximize design reuse in Web applications.
- Baumer, D., D. Riehle, W. Sibersky, and M. Wulf (2000), “Role Object, ” In Pattern Languages of Program Design 4, N. Harrison, B. Foote, and H. Rohnert, Eds., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, pp. 15–32.
- Fayad, M., D. Schmidt, and R. Johnson, Eds. (1999), Building Application Frameworks, Wiley, New York.
- Fowler, M. (1993), “Application Views: Another Technique in the Analysis and Design Armory, ” Journal of Object Oriented Programming 7, 1, 59–66.
- Gamma, E., R. Helm, R. Johnson, and J. Vlissides (1995), Design Patterns. Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
- Jacyntho, M.D., D. Schwabe, and G. Rossi (2002), “A Software Architecture for Structuring Complex Web Applications, ” Technical Report, MCC-02/02, Department of Informatics, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Johnson, R. and B. Foote (1988), “Designing Reusable Classes, ” Journal of Object Oriented Programming 1, 2, 22–35.
- Johnson, R. and B. Woolf (1988), “Type-Object, ” In Pattern Languages of Program Design 3, R. Martin, D. Riehle, and F. Buschmann, Eds., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1998.
- Krasner, G. and S.A. Pope (1988), “Cookbook for Using Model-View-Controller Interface Paradigm in Smalltalk 80, ” Journal of Object Oriented Programming 1, 8, 26–49.
- Nielsen, J. (1995), Multimedia and Hypertext. The Internet and Beyond, Academic Press, Boston.
- Pree, W. (1994), Design Patterns for Object-Oriented Software, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
- Rational (1997), UML Document Set. Version 1.013 January 1997, Rational, available at http://www.rational.com/uml/references/index.html.
- Rossi, G., D. Schwabe, C.J.P. de Lucena, and D.D. Cowan (1995), “An Object-Oriented Model for Designing the Human- Computer Interface of Hypermedia Applications, ” In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Hypermedia Design (IWHD'95), Springer Workshops in Computing Series, available at ftp://ftp.inf.puc-rio.br/pub/docs/techreports/95_07_rossi.ps.gz.
- Rossi, G., D. Schwabe, and F. Lyardet (1999), “Web Application Models are More than Conceptual Models, ” In Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Conceptual Modeling and the WWW, Paris, France, November 1999, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 1727, Springer, Berlin, pp. 239–253.
- Rossi, G., F. Lyardet, and D. Schwabe (2000a), “Patterns for Designing Navigable Spaces, ” In Pattern Languages of Program Design 4, N. Harrison, B. Foote, and H. Rohnert, Eds., Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
- Rossi, G., D. Schwabe, and F. Lyardet (2000b), “Patterns for E-commerce Applications, ” In Proceedings of EuroPLoP 2000, available at http://www.coldewey.com/europlop2000.
- Rossi, G., D. Schwabe, and R. Guimarã es (2001a), “Designing Personalized Web Applications, ” In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on the WWW,ACM Press, New York, pp. 274–284.
- Rossi, G., D. Schwabe, J. Danculovic, and L. Miaton (2001b), “Patterns for Personalized Web Applications, ” In Proceedings of EuroPLoP 2001, available at http://hillside.net/patterns/EuroPLoP2001/papers.html.
- Schwabe, D. and G. Rossi (1998), “An Object-Oriented Approach to Web-Based Application Design, ” Theory and Practice of Object Systems (TAPOS) 4, 4, 207–225, Special Issue on the Internet. CrossRef
- Schwabe, D., G. Rossi, L. Esmeraldo, and F. Lyardet (2001a), “Web Design Frameworks: An Approach to Improve Reuse in Web Applications, ” In Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Web Engineering WWW9 Conference, S. Murugesan and Y. Deshpande, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 2016, Springer, pp. 335–352.
- Schwabe, D., L. Esmeraldo, G. Rossi, and F. Lyardet (2001b), “Engineering Web Applications for Reuse, ” IEEE Multimedia 8, 1, 20–31. CrossRef
- Object-Oriented Design Structures in Web Application Models
Annals of Software Engineering
Volume 13, Issue 1-4 , pp 97-110
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links