Discrete-time Indefinite LQ Control with State and Control Dependent Noises
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper deals with the discrete-time stochastic LQ problem involving state and control dependent noises, whereas the weighting matrices in the cost function are allowed to be indefinite. In this general setting, it is shown that the well-posedness and the attainability of the LQ problem are equivalent. Moreover, a generalized difference Riccati equation is introduced and it is proved that its solvability is necessary and sufficient for the existence of an optimal control which can be either of state feedback or open-loop form. Furthermore, the set of all optimal controls is identified in terms of the solution to the proposed difference Riccati equation.
- M. Ait Rami, X. Chen, J.B. Moore, and X.Y. Zhou. Solvability and asymptotic behavior of generalized Riccati equations arising in indefinite stochastic LQ controls. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. AC-46 (2001), 428–440.
- M. Ait Rami and X. Y. Zhou. Linear matrix inequalities, Riccati equations, and indefinite stochastic linear quadratic control. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. AC-45 (2000), 1131–1143.
- A. Albert. Conditions for positive and nonnegative definiteness in terms of pseudo-inverse. SIAM J. Appl. Math. 17 (1969), 434–440.
- M. Athans. The matrix minimum principle. Inform. and Contr. 11 (1968), 592–606.
- M. Athans. Special issues on linear-quadratic-Gaussian problem, IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. AC-16 (1971), 527–869.
- A. Beghi and D. D'Alessandro. Discrete-time optimal control with control-dependent noise and generalized Riccati difference equations. Automatica 34(8) (1998), 1031–1034.
- S. Chen, X. Li and X.Y. Zhou. Stochastic linear quadratic regulators with indefinite control weight costs. SIAM J. Contr. Optim. 36 (1998), 1685–1702.
- R. A. Horn and C. R. Johnson. Matrix Analysis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1990.
- R. E. Kalman. Contribution to the theory of optimal control, Bol. Soc. Mat. Mex. 5 (1960), 102–119.
- M. Kohlmann and X.Y. Zhou. Relations hip between backward stochastic differential equations and stochastic controls: a linear-quadratic approach. SIAM J. Contr. Optim. 38 (2000), 1392–1407.
- R.T. Ku and M. Athans. Further results on the uncertainty threshold principle. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. AC-22 (1977), 866–868.
- J.B. Moore, X.Y. Zhou and A.E.B. Lim. Discrete time LQG controls with control dependent noise. Syst. Contr. Lett. 36 (1999), 199–206.
- R. Penrose. A generalized inverse of matrices. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 52 (1955), 17–19.
- L. Vandenerghe and S. Boyd. Semidefinite programming. SIAM Rev. 38 (1996), 49–95.
- J. Yong and X.Y. Zhou. Stochastic Controls: Hamiltonian Systems and HJB Equations. Springer, Berlin, 1999.
- X.Y. Zhou and D. Li. Continuous-time mean-variance portfolio selection: a stochastic LQ framework. Appl. Math. Optim. 42 (2000), 19–33.
- Discrete-time Indefinite LQ Control with State and Control Dependent Noises
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 23, Issue 3-4 , pp 245-265
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Indefinite stochastic LQ control
- Discrete time
- Multiplicative noise
- Generalized difference Riccati equation
- Linear matrix inequality
- Industry Sectors