IP Paging Service for Mobile Hosts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In wireless networks, mobile hosts must update the network with their current location in order to get packets delivered. Paging facilitates efficient power management at the mobile host by allowing the host to update the network less frequently at the cost of providing the network with only approximate location information. The network determines the exact location of a mobile host through paging before delivering packets destined to the mobile host. In this paper, we propose the concept of paging as an IP service. IP paging enables a common infrastructure and protocol to support the different wireless interfaces such as CDMA, GPRS, wireless LAN, avoiding the duplication of several application layer paging implementations and the inter-operability issues that exist today. We present the design, implementation, and detailed qualitative and quantitative evaluation, using measurements and simulation, of three IP-based paging protocols for mobile hosts.
- K. Calvert, M. Doar and E. Zegura, Modeling Internet topology, IEEE Communications Magazine (June 1997).
- Digital cellular telecommunication system, General Packet Radio Service, Service description, Stage 2, GSM 03.60, Version 6.0, ETSI (1998).
- D. Estrin et al., Protocol independent multicast-sparse mode, RFC 2117 (1997).
- H. Haverinen, Mobile IP regional paging, Internet draft, Work in progress (June 2000).
- M. Holbrook and D.R. Cheriton, IP multicast channels: EXPRESS support for large-scale single source applications, in: SIGCOMM'99 (1999).
- IEEE 802.11, Wireless LAN Medium Access Control and Physical Layer specifications (1999).
- IS-657, Packet data service option standard for wideband spread spectrum systems (1996).
- D. Lam, D.C. Cox and J. Widom, Teletraffic modeling for personal communications services, IEEE Communications 35(2) 79–87.
- D. Meyer, Administratively scoped IP multicast, RFC 2365 (July 1998).
- K. Murakami, R. Buskens, R. Ramjee, Y.-J. Lin and T. La Porta, Design, implementation, and evaluation of highly available distributed call processing systems, in: Proceedings of FTCS'98 (1998).
- G. Patel and S. Dennett, The 3GPP and 3GPP2 movements toward an all-IP mobile network, IEEE Personal Communications Magazine 7(4) (August 2000).
- C.E. Perkins, IP mobility support, RFC (2002).
- C. Perkins, G. Montenegro and P. Calhoun, Mobile IP regionalized tunnel management, Internet draft, Work in progress (August 1999).
- R. Ramjee, T. La Porta, L. Salgarelli, S. Thuel, K. Varadhan and L. Li, IP-based access network infrastructure for next generation wireless data networks, IEEE Personal Communications Magazine (August 2000).
- R. Ramjee, T. La Porta, S. Thuel, K. Varadhan and S.-Y. Wang, HAWAII: A domain based approach for supporting mobility in wide-area wireless networks, in: Proceedings of ICNP'99 (1999).
- R. Ramjee, L. Li and T. La Porta, Paging support for IP mobility, Internet draft, Work in progress (July 2000).
- S. Sarkar and E. Tiedemann, cdma2000: Battery life improvement techniques, in: Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM'00 (2000).
- T. Simunic, L. Benini, P. Glynn and G. De Micheli, Dynamic power management for portable systems, in: Proceedings of ACM MOBICOM'00 (2000).
- Stanford University Mobile Activity TRAces, http://www-db. stanford.edu/pleiades/SUMATRA.html
- R. Stanley, The influence of MTSO placement on wireless network cost, in: Proceedings of IEEE PIMRC'00 (2000).
- K. Svanbro, J. Wiorek and B. Olin, Voice-over-IP-over-Wireless, in: Proccedings of IEEE PIMRC'00 (2000).
- A. Valko, A. Campbell and J. Gomez, Cellular IP, Internet draft, Work in progress (November 1998).
- L. Wang, A. Terzis and L. Zhang, A new proposal for RSVP refreshes, in: ICNP (1999).
- D. Wisely, W. Mohr and J. Urban, Broadband Radio Access for IP-based Networks (BRAIN) – A key enabler for mobile Internet access, in: Proceedings of IEEE PIMRC'00 (2000).
- T. Woo, T. La Porta, J. Golestani and N. Agarwal, Update and search algorithms for wireless messaging: design and performance, in: INFOCOM'98 (1998).
- X. Zhang, J. Castellanos, A. Campbell, K. Sawada and M. Barry, P-MIP: Minimal paging extensions for Mobile IP, Internet draft, Work in progress (July 2000).
- IP Paging Service for Mobile Hosts
Volume 8, Issue 5 , pp 427-441
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- domain paging
- Industry Sectors