Why Did QT Dispersion Die?
- Pentti M. Rautaharju
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Background: Considerable controversy exists about the meaning of QT dispersion(QTD). The working hypothesis of the present paper was that the necessary although not sufficientcondition for the validity of QTD concept is the association of QTD with nondipolar voltage (NDPV)in T waves of the 12-lead ECG.
Methods and Results: ECGs of 4890 subjects, 966 with coronary heart disease (CHD) and3844 considered CHD-free were processed using computer programs for measurement of the ratio of the first twoeigenvalues (E2/E1), nondipolar voltage (NDPV), terminal T wave direction and ECGestimate of left ventricular mass (LVM). The mean NDPV in T wave was 11 μV (SD 3.9),with 6 μV (SD 1.3) in terminal 40 ms. NDPV alone explained only 6% and NDPV, E2/E1 andLVM combined 13% of QTD variance. There was a modest increase in the fraction of subjects with QTD>60 ms among subjects with NDPV in terminal T > 7 μV compared to those with NDPV ≥7 μV(15% vs. 10%). A more profound increase was associated with terminal T wave directiondeviating from normal (37% vs. 12% among those with normal direction), reflectingdipolar rather than nondipolar components.
Conclusions: The association between QTD and NDPV is weak, and QTD is unlikely to represent anymeaningful myocardial repolarization event in the interval domain. It seems more logical to use directmeasurement of NDPV as a potential marker of localized dispersion and heterogeneity of ventricularrepolarization for evaluation of the risk of adverse cardiac events.
- Day CP, McComb JM, Campbell RW.QT dispersion: An indication of arrhythmia risk in patients with long QT intervals. British Heart J 1990;63:342–344.
- Day CP, McComb JM, Matthews J, Campbell RW. Reduction in QT dispersion by sotalol following myocardial infarction. Europ Heart J 1991;12:423–427.
- Malik M, Batchvarov V. QT Dispersion. In: Camm AJ (ed). Clinical Approaches to Tachyarrhythmias, Vol. 12, Armonk, NY: Futura Publishing Company, Inc., 2000:1–140.
- Franz MR, Zabel M. Electrophysiological basis of QT dispersion measurements. Progr Cardiovasc Diseases 2000;42:311–324.
- Bachvarov V, Malik M. Measurement and interpretation of QT dispersion. Progr Cardiovasc Diseases2000;42:325–344.
- Davey P. QT interval and mortality from coronary artery disease. Progr Cardiovasc Diseases2000;42:359–384.
- Lee KW, Kligfield P, Dower GE, Okin PM. QT dispersion, T-wave projection, and heterogeneity of repolarization in patients with coronary artery disease. Am J Cardiol 2001;87:148–151.
- Kors JA, van Herpen G, van Bemmel JH. QT dispersion as an attribute of T-loop morphology. Circulation1999;99:1458–1463.
- Priori SG, Mortara DW, Napolitano C, Diehl L, Paganini V, Cantu F, Cantu G, Schwartz PJ. Evaluation of the spatial aspects of T-wave complexity in the long-QT syndrome. Circulation 1997;96:3006–3012.
- Macfarlane PW, McLaughlin SC, Rodger JC. Influence of lead selection and population on automated measurement of QT dispersion. Circulation 1998; 98:2160–2167.
- Kors JA, van Herpen G. Measurement error as a source of QT dispersion: A computerized analysis. Heart 1998;80:453–458.
- Bacharov V, Yi G, Guo X, Savelieva I, Camm AJ, Malik M. QT interval and QT dispersion measurement with the threshold method depend on threshold level. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1998;21:2372–2375.
- Malik M. QT dispersion: Time for an obituary? Europ Heart J 2000;21:955–957 (editorial).
- Rautaharju PM. QT and dispersion of ventricular repolarization: The greatest fallacy in electrocardiography in the 1990s. Circulation 1999;99:2477–2478 (Letter to the Editor).
- Malik M, Acar B, Gang Y, Yap YG, Hnatkova K, Camm AJ. QT dispersion does not represent electrocardiographic interlead heterogeneity of ventricular repolarization. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol2000;23:6000–6006.
- Rautaharju PM, Park L, Rautaharju FS, Crow R. A standardized procedure for locating and documenting ECG chest electrode positions. Consideration of the effect of breast tissue on ECG amplitudes in women. J Electrocardiol 1998;31:17–29.
- Rautaharju PM, Punsar S, Blackburn H, Warren J, Menotti A. Waveform patterns in Frank-lead rest and exercise electrocardiograms of healthy elderly men. Circulation 1973;48:541–548.
- Rautaharju PM, Warrren J, Wolf HK. Waveform vector analysis of orthogonal electrocardiograms. Quantification and data reduction. J Electrocardiol1973;6:103–111.
- Rautaharju PM, Zhou SH, Park LP. Improved electrocardiographic models for left ventricular mass adjusted for body size, with specific algorithms for normal conduction, bundle branch blocks and old myocardial infarction. J Electrocardiol1996;29(Suppl):261–269.
- Zabel M, Portnoy PR, Franz MR. Electrocardiographic indexes of dispersion of ventricular repolarization: An isolated heart validation study.JAm Coll Cardiol 1995;25:746–752.
- Why Did QT Dispersion Die?
Cardiac Electrophysiology Review
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 295-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- QT dispersion
- Author Affiliations
- 1. EPICARE Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA