Imperfect Inspection Games Over Time
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We consider an inspection game played on a continuous finite time interval. The inspector wishes to detect a violation as soon as possible after it has been made by the operator. The loss to the inspector is assumed to be linear in the duration of the time elapsed between the violation and its detection. This paper is mostly an extension of Diamond's models for a single inspection, which includes the uncertainty aspect, by relaxing the assumption that the inspection is perfect. Here the inspection is imperfect; it has a Type One Error which means that the inspector may call a false alarm (with probability α), and a Type Two Error which means that the inspection may fail to detect (with probability β) a violation which did occur. In addition we will assume that the inspection is silent, i.e., the operator is unaware of the inspection when it takes place, unless the inspector calls a false alarm.
- R. Avenhaus, Safeguards System Analysis (Plenum Press, New York, 1986).
- R. Avenhaus and M.J. Canty, Compiliance Quantified. An Introduction to Data Verification (Cambridge University Press, 1996).
- R. Avenhaus, B. von Stengel and S. Zamir, Inspection Games, Handbook of Game Theory, Vol. III, eds. R.J. Aumann and S. Hart (North-Holland, 1995).
- R. Avenhaus, M.J. Canty and B. von Stengel, Sequential aspects of nuclear safeguards: interim inspections of direct use material, in: Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Facility Operations-Safeguards Interface, American Nuclear Society, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1991) pp. 104-110.
- C. Derman, On minimax surveillance schedules, Naval Research Logistics Quarterly 8 (1961) 414-419.
- H. Diamond, Minimax policies for unobservable inspection, Mathematics of Operation Research 7 (1982) 139-153.
- S. Zamir, Two-period material safeguards game, in: Operation Research '90, ed. H.E. Bradley (Pergamon Press, 1991) pp. 176-196.
- Imperfect Inspection Games Over Time
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 109, Issue 1-4 , pp 175-192
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors