Reliability and validity of the COOP/WONCA health status measure in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The objective of the study was to assess the reliability and validity of the Dartmouth Primary Care Cooperative Information Project/World Organization of National Colleges, Academies, and Academic Associations of General Practice/Family Physicians (COOP/WONCA) questionnaire in outpatients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). The test–retest reliability of individual items of the COOP/WONCA questionnaire was assessed using a weighted κ-statistic, and construct validity was assessed by correlating items of the COOP/WONCA with the EQ-5D health status measure. Discriminant validity was assessed by comparing scores for known groups, at the same time comparing the results with those of a lung-specific health status questionnaire. The individual items of the COOP/WONCA had test–retest reliabilities of 0.67–0.78 (weighted κ). Spearman's rank correlations between COOP/WONCA single-item scores and corresponding EQ-5D ranged 0.45–0.72, which were generally higher than associations between non-corresponding items. Four of the five COOP/WONCA items did not discriminate between patient groups divided according to forced expiratory flow in 1 sec (FEV1) in percent of predicted and 6-min walking distance, while four of five items of the lung-specific questionnaire discriminated well between these groups. The COOP/WONCA chart system was reliable and showed properties supporting the construct validity of the measure. The items, however, did not discriminate well between known groups, indicating that this questionnaire is not very sensitive in patients with COPD. The reliability of the COOP/WONCA items was acceptable for use at group level, but lower than current recommendations for use in individual patients.
- Mahler DA, Jones PW. Measurement of dyspnea and quality of life in advanced lung disease. Clin Chest Med 1997; 18: 457-469.
- Nelson E, Wasson J, Kirk J et al. Assessment of function in routine clinical practice: description of the COOP Chart method and preliminary findings. J Chronic Dis 1987; 40 (Suppl 1): 55S-69S.
- Nelson EC, Landgraf JM, Hays RD, Wasson JH, Kirk JW. The functional status of patients. How can it be measured in physicians' offices? Med Care 1990; 28: 1111-1126.
- EuroQol Group. EuroQol: A new facility for the measurement of health related quality of life. Health Policy 1990; 16: 199-208.
- Kind P, Dolan P, Gudex C, Williams A. Variations in population health status: Results from a United Kingdom national questionnaire survey. Br Med J 1998; 316: 736-741.
- Anonymous. Standards for the diagnosis and care of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma. This official statement of the American Thoracic Society was adopted by the ATS Board of Directors, November 1986. Am Rev Respir Dis 1987; 136: 225-244.
- Higgins MW, Thom T. Incidence, prevalence and mortality: Intra-and inter-country differences. In: Hensley MJ, Saunders NA (eds), Clinical Epidemiology of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. New york: Marcel Dekker, 1989; 23-43.
- Stavem K, Erikssen J, Boe J. Performance of a short lungspecific health status measure in outpatients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Med 1999; 93: 467-475.
- Stavem K, Boe J, Erikssen J. Health status, dyspnea, lung function and exercise capacity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 1999; 3: 920-926.
- Nelson EC, Berwick DM. The measurement of health status in clinical practice. Med Care 1989; 27: S77-S90.
- Froom J. Preface. WONCA Classification Committe. Functional status measurement in primary care. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1990, xiii-xvii.
- Essink-Bot ML, Krabbe PF, Bonsel GJ, Aaronson NK. An empirical comparison of four generic health status measures. The Nottingham Health Profile, the Medical Outcomes Study 36-item Short-Form Health Survey, the COOP/WONCA charts, and the EuroQol instrument. Med Care 1997; 35: 522-537.
- Westbury RC, Rogers TB, Briggs TE et al. A multinational study of the factorial structure and other characteristics of the Dartmouth COOP Functional Health Assessment Charts/WONCA. Fam Pract 1997; 14: 478-485.
- Lindegaard PM, Bentzen N, Christiansen T. Reliability of the COOP/WONCA charts. Test-retest completed by patients presenting psychosocial health problems to their general practitioner. Scand J Prim Health Care 1999; 17: 145-148.
- Lam CL, Lauder IJ, Lam DT. How does a change in the administration method affect the reliability of the COOP/ WONCA charts? World Organization of National Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/ Family Physicians. Fam Pract 1999; 16: 184-189.
- Wong-Chung D, Mateijsen N, West R, Ravell L, van Weel C. Assessing the functional status during an asthma attack with Dartmouth COOP charts. Validity with respect to the change in asthma. Fam Pract1991; 8: 404-408.
- Bentsen BG, Natvig B, Winnem M. Questions you did not ask? COOP/WONCA charts in clinical work and research. World Organization of Colleges, Academies and Academic Associations of General Practitioners/Family Physicists. Fam Pract 1999; 16: 190-195.
- Bronfort G, Bouter LM. Responsiveness of general health status in chronic low back pain: A comparison of the COOP charts and the SF-36. Pain 1999; 83: 201-209.
- Dolan P, Gudex C, Kind P, Williams A. The time trade-off method: Results from a general population study. Health Econ 1996; 5: 141-154.
- Marks GB, Dunn SM, Woolcock AJ. A scale for the measurement of quality of life in adults with asthma. J Clin Epidemiol 1992; 45: 461-472.
- Cohen J. Weighted ?: Nominal scale agreement with provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit. Psychol Bull 1968; 70: 213-220.
- Fleiss JL, Cohen J. The equivalence of weighted ? and the intraclass correlation coefficient as measures of reliability. Educ Psychol Meas 1973; 33: 613-619.
- Brenner H, Kliebsch U. Dependence of weighted ?-coefficients on the number of categories. Epidemiology 1996; 7: 199-202.
- Landis JR, Koch GG. The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data. Biometrics 1977; 33: 159-174.
- Nelson EC, Landgraf JM, Hays RD et al. The COOP function charts: A system to measure patient function in physician's offices. WONCA Classification Committe. Functional status measurement in primary care. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1990, 97-131.
- Ware JE Jr, Snow KK, Gandek B. SF-36 health survey. Manual and Interpretation Guide, Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, 1993.
- Stavem K. Reliability, validity and responsiveness of two multiattribute utility measures in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Qual Life Res 1999; 8: 45-54.
- Coons SJ, Rao S, Keininger DL, Hays RD. A comparative review of generic quality-of-life instruments. Pharmaco Economics 2000; 17: 13-35.
- Nunnally JC, Bernstein IH. Psychometric Theory, 3rd ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- Hays RD, Anderson R, Revicki D. Psychometric considerations in evaluating health-related quality of life measures. Qual Life Res 1993; 2: 441-449.
- Reliability and validity of the COOP/WONCA health status measure in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Quality of Life Research
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 527-533
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Health-related quality of life
- Health status
- Quality of life
- COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
- Industry Sectors