Study of Conic Permanent Magnet Bearings
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Due to recent advances in rare-earth technologies, application of permanent magnets has gained a new interest. As bearing elements, permanent magnets offer important advantages, such as the noticeable reduction of friction losses and the capability of achieving high speeds. A tapered geometry is investigated by means of finite element analysis and by a purpose-developed software based on magnetostatic integral equations. On the basis of the equivalent currents method, some basic relations have also been obtained that permit to study the influence of the magnetization angles, once four 'geometry' vectors are known. The present study may be used as a starting point for an optimization procedure on the shape and magnetization directions of permanent magnet bearings.
- Yonnet, J.P., 'Passive magnetic bearings with permanent magnets', IEEE Trans. Magn. 14 (1978) 803-805.
- Yonnet, J.P., 'Permanent magnet bearings and couplings', IEEE Trans. Magn. 17 (1981) 1169-1173.
- Okuda, H. et al., 'Characteristics of ring permanent magnet bearing', IEEE Trans. Magn. 20(1) (1984) 1693-1695.
- Bassani, R. and Villani, S., 'Axially magnetized passive radial magnetic bearings', Appl. Mech. Engng 1 (1995) 77-96.
- Dellinger, S.J. and Strnat, K.J., 'Field and force calculations for use in passive magnetic bearing systems employing rare-earth magnets', In: Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Rare-Earth Magnets and their Applications, Dayton-Ohio, 1985, pp. 153-164.
- Nagaraj, H.S., 'Investigation of magnetic fields and forces arising in open-circuit-type magnetic bearings', Trib. Trans. 31(2) (1986) 192-201.
- Earnshaw, S., 'On the nature of molecular forces which regulate the constitution of luminoferous ether', Trans. Comb. Phil. Soc. 7 (1842) 97-112.
- Bassani, R., Stabilità di Corpi in Campi Potenziali, Dip. Costr. Mecc. Nucl., Pisa, RL 524(91), 1991.
- Yonnet, J.P. et al., 'Stacked structures of passive magnetic bearings', J. Appl. Phys. 70(10) (1991) 6633-6635.
- Bassani, R. and Villani, S., 'Passive magnetic bearings: the conic-shaped bearing', Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 213 Part J (1999) 151-161.
- Smythe, W.R., Static and Dynamic Electricity, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1950.
- Ansys User's Manual for Revision 5.1, Vol. IV, 'Theory'.
- Ren, Z., 'Comparison of different force calculation methods in 3D finite element modeling', IEEE Trans. Magn. 3 (1994) 3471-3474.
- Coey, J.M.D., Rare-Earth Iron Permanent Magnets, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1996.
- Study of Conic Permanent Magnet Bearings
Volume 36, Issue 6 , pp 745-754
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Magnetic bearing
- Permanent magnet
- Tapered magnet
- Applied mechanics
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica Nucleare e della Produzione, Università di Pisa, via Diotisalvi 2, 56126, Pisa, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Sistemi Elettrici ed Automazione, Università di Pisa, via Diotisalvi 2, 56126, Pisa, Italy