Oxidative Stress and Taxol Production Induced by Fungal Elicitor in Cell Suspension Cultures of Taxus Chinensis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Treatment of Taxus chinensis cell suspension cultures with fungal elicitor resulted in an oxidative stress characterized by H2O2 production, malondiadehyde (MDA) accumulation and cell death. This oxidative stress was dependent on the concentration of elicitor. Cells exposed to elicitor accumulated taxol, however, not proportional to elicitor concentration. High production of taxol occurred in cells treated with the suitable elicitor concentration. We concluded that oxidative stress had the deleterious effect on taxol production. Simultaneous treatment with elicitor and ascorbic acid (ASA) changed the oxidative stress and taxol production. Production of taxol in cells treated with 200 mg dm−3 elicitor and ASA was enhanced compared with that in cells treated with only 200 mg dm−3 elicitor, while production of taxol in cells treated with 100 and 50 mg dm−3 elicitor and ASA was decreased compared with that in cells treated with 100 and 50 mg dm−3 elicitor.
- Allen, R.G., Tresiki, M.: Oxidative stress and gene regulation.-Free Radical Biol. Med. 28: 463–499, 2000.
- Baker, C.J., Mock, N.M.: An improved method for monitoring cell death in cell suspension and leaf disc assays using Evans blue.-Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 39: 7–12, 1974.
- Brennan, T., Frenkel, C.: Involvement of hydrogen peroxide in the regulation of senescence in pear.-Plant Physiol. 59: 411–416, 1977.
- Ciddi, V., Srinivasan, V., Shuler, M.L.: Elicitation of Taxus sp. cells culture for production of taxol.-Biotechncl. Lett. 17: 1343–1346, 1995.
- Dörnenburg, H., Knorr, D.: Strategies for the improvement of secondary metabolite production in plant cell cultures.-Enzyme microbial Technol. 17: 674–684, 1995.
- Guo, Z.J., Lamb, C., Dixon, R.A.: Potentiation of the oxidative burst and isoflanvonoid phytoalexin accumulation by serine inhibitors.-Physiol. Plant 118: 1487–1494, 1998.
- Heath, R.L., Packer, L.: Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplasts. I-kinetics and biochemistry of fatty acid peroxidation.-Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 125: 189–198, 1968.
- Ketchum, R.E.B., Gibson, D.M., Croteau, R.B.: The kinetics of taxoid accumulation in cell suspension culture of elicitor with methyl jasmonate.-Biotech. Bioeng. 62: 97–105, 1999.
- Kuzniak, E., Urbanek, H.: The involvement of hydrogen peroxide in plant responses to stresses.-Acta Physiol. Plant. 22: 195–203, 2000.
- Levine, A., Tenhaken, R., Dixon, R., Lamb, C.: H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response.-Cell 79: 583–593, 1994.
- Pavlovkin, J., Novacky, A., Ulrich-Eberius, E.L.: Membrane potential changes during bacteria-induced hypersensitive reaction.-Physiol. mol. Plant Pathol. 28: 125–135, 1986.
- Zhang, C.H., Mei, X.G., Liu, L., Yu, L.J.: Enhanced paclitaxel production induced by the combination of elicitors in cell suspension cultures of Taxus chinensis.-Biotechnol. Lett. 22: 1561–1564, 2000.
- Oxidative Stress and Taxol Production Induced by Fungal Elicitor in Cell Suspension Cultures of Taxus Chinensis
Volume 45, Issue 3 , pp 459-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- cell death
- hydrogen peroxide
- lipid peroxidation
- Industry Sectors