Repetitively Assaultive Psychiatric Patients: Review of Published Findings, 1978–2001
- Raymond B. Flannery Jr.
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Embedded in samples of studies individual cases of psychiatric patient assault have been cases of persistent, repeat patient assailants. Although there have been literature reviews of samples of individual cases of assaults, there has been no similar review of the studies of repetitively violent patients. This paper reviewed 28 studies and found repetitively violent patients to be younger, equally male or female, and most frequently diagnosed with schizophrenia or personality disorder. The implications for safety, clinical care, and research are discussed. A new research approach is suggested.
- Wolfgang M, Figlio RM, Sellin T: Delinquency in a Birth Cohort. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 1972.
- Blair DT: Assaultive behavior: Does provocation begin in the front office? Journal of Psychosocial Nursing 29:21-26, 1991.
- Davis S: Violence in psychiatric patients: A review. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 42:485-490, 1991.
- Flannery RB Jr, Hanson MA, Penk WE: Risk factors for psychiatric inpatient assaults on staff. Journal of Mental Health Administration 21:24-31, 1994.
- Flannery RB Jr: Characteristics of assaultive psychiatric inpatients: Updated review of findings, 1995-2000. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias 16:153-156, 2001.
- Fottrell E, Bewley T, Squizzoni M: A study of aggressive and violent behavior among a group of psychiatric in-patients. Medicine, Science, and the Law 18:66-69, 1978.
- Fottrell E: A study of violent behaviour among patients in a psychiatric hospital. British Journal of Psychiatry 136:216-221, 1980.
- Lion JB, Snyder W, Merrill GC: Underreporting of assaults on staff in a state hospital. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 32:497-498, 1981.
- Armond AD: Violence in the semisecure ward of a psychiatric hospital. Medicine, Science, and the Law 22:203-209, 1982.
- Cooper SJ, Browne FMA, McClean KJ, King DJ: Aggressive behavior in a psychiatric observation ward. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavca 68:386-393, 1983.
- Depp F: Assaults in a public mental hospital. In: Lion JR, Reid W, eds., Assaults within Psychiatric Facilities. New York, Grune &; Stratton, 1983.
- Ionno JA: A prospective study of assaultive behavior in female psychiatric inpatients. In: Lion JR, Reid W, eds., Assaults within Psychiatric Facilities. New York, Grune &; Stratton, 1983.
- Aiken GJM: Assaults on a staff in a locked ward: Predictions and consequences. Medicine, Science, and the Law 23:199-207, 1984.
- Dooley E: Aggressive incidents in a secure hospital. Medicine, Science, and the Law 26: 125-130, 1986.
- Harris GT, Varney GW: A ten-year study of assaults and assaulters on a maximum security psychiatric unit. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 1:173-191, 1986.
- Barber JW, Hundley P, Kellogg E, et al: Clinical and demographic characteristics of 15 patients with repetitively assaultive behavior. Psychiatric Quarterly 59:213-224, 1988.
- Coldwell J, Naismith L: Violent incidents on special care wards in a special hospital. Medicine, Science, and the Law 29:116-123, 1989.
- Noble P, Rodger S: Violence by psychiatric inpatients. British Journal of Psychiatry 155: 384-390, 1989.
- Krakowski MI, Convit A, Jaeger J, et al: Neurological impairment in violent schizophrenic patients. American Journal of Psychiatry 146:849-853, 1989.
- Krakowski MI, Convit A, Jaeger J, et al: Inpatient violence: Trait and state. Journal of Psychiatric Research 23:57-64, 1989.
- James DV, Fineberg NA, Shah AK, et al: An increase in violence on an acute psychiatric ward: A study of associated factors. British Journal of Psychiatry 156:846-852, 1990.
- Convit A, Isay D, Otis D, et al: Characteristics of repeatedly assaultive psychiatric inpatients. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 41:1112-1115, 1990.
- Hillbrand M: Self-directed and other-directed aggressive behavior in a forensic sample. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior 22:333-340, 1992.
- Powell G, Caan W, Crowe M: What events precede violent incidents in psychiatric hospitals? British Journal of Psychiatry 165:107-112, 1994.
- Krakowski MI, Czobor P: Clinical symptoms, neurological impairment, and prediction of violence in psychiatric inpatients. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 45:700-705, 1994.
- Kennedy J, Harrison J, Hillis T, et al: Analysis of violent incidents in a regional secure unit. Medicine, Science, and the Law 35:255-260, 1995.
- Ferguson JS, Smith A: Aggressive behavior on an inpatient geriatric unit. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing 34:27-32, 1996.
- Tam E, Engelsmann F, Fugere R: Patterns of violent incidents by patients in a general hospital psychiatric facility. Psychiatric Services 47:86-88, 1996.
- Owen C, Tarantello C, Jones M, et al: Repetitively violent patients in psychiatric units. Psychiatric Services 49:1458-1461, 1998.
- Blow FC, Barry KL, Copeland LA, et al: Repeated assaults by patients in VA hospital and clinic settings. Psychiatric Services 50:390-394, 1999.
- Soliman AE, Reza H: Risk factors and correlates of violence among acutely ill psychiatric inpatients. Psychiatric Services 52:75-80, 2001.
- Flannery RB Jr, Fisher W, Walker AP, et al: Nonviolent psychiatric inpatients and subsequent assaults on community patients and staff. Psychiatric Quarterly 72:19-27, 2001.
- Flannery RB Jr, Rachlin S, Walker AP: Characteristics of repetitively assaultive patients: Ten Year Analysis of the Assaulted Staff Action Program. Boston, MA, Department of Mental Health, submitted, 2001.
- Flannery RB Jr: Violence in America: Coping with Drugs, Distressed Families, Inadequate Schooling, and Acts of Hate. New York, Continuum Publishing, 2000.
- Rachlin S: The prosecution of violent psychiatric inpatients: One respectable intervention. Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law 22:239-247, 1994.
- Repetitively Assaultive Psychiatric Patients: Review of Published Findings, 1978–2001
Volume 73, Issue 3 , pp 229-237
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- health care safety
- psychiatric patients
- repeat offenders
- Raymond B. Flannery Jr. (1) (2) (3)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Massachusetts Department of Mental Health, Boston, MA 02114
- 2. Faculties of Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 3. University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA