Determination of Potential Migrants from Commercial Amber Polyethylene Terephthalate Bottle Wall
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Potential migrants were isolated from commercial polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles using Soxhlet extraction. The concentrated extract was then subjected to GC/MS analysis. A total of 19 migrants has been identified. The majority of compounds appeared to be intermediate reaction products or residual monomers of their dehydration and transesterification products. Several processing aids such as fatty acids and commonly used plasticizers were also identified. The amount of seven compounds present in the major portion of exhaustive extract of the PET bottle wall ranged from 800 µg/g polymer to as low as 0.6 µg/g.
- P. L. Heater, Modern Plastics Encyclopedia, 65, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988, pp. 46–48.
- H. Kim, S. G. Gilbert, and J. B. Johnson. J. Pharm. Sci. (in press) (1989).
- U.S. Pharmacopeia, 21st rev. U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, Rockville, MD, 1985, p. 1240.
- D. R. Cooper and J. A. Semlyen. Polymer 14:185–192 (1973).
- M. E. Kashtock and C. V. Breder. J. Am. Offic. Anal. Chem. 663:168–172 (1980).
- M. E. Kashtock. J. Chromatogr. 176:25–35 (1979).
- E. R. Atkinson, Jr., and S. I. Calouche. Anal. Chem. 43:460–462 (1971).
- J. Yamanis, R. Vilenshich, and M. Adelman. J. Chromatogr. 108:79–84 (1975).
- J. A. Thomas, T. D. Darby, R. F. Wallin, P. J. Garvin, and L. Martis. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 45:1–27 (1978).
- J. A. Thomas and M. J. Thomas. CRC Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 13:283–317 (1984).
- J. Saido, T. Kuroki, T. Ikemura, and M. Kirisawa. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 61:945–949 (1984).
- Determination of Potential Migrants from Commercial Amber Polyethylene Terephthalate Bottle Wall
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 176-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Amber polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottle
- potential migrants
- source for phthalates
- monomers and intermediate reaction products
- Industry Sectors