IP Telephony—New Horizon for Telemedicine and e-Health
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Internet Protocol (IP) based networks are increasingly being used as alternatives to the traditional circuit-switched networks for carrying voice traffic. IP telephony is taking a firm hold in the world telecommunication market for a wide range of applications including telemedicine. The merits of IP telephony for telemedicine lie in cost-savings and new applications and functionalities it may render. In this paper, we try to discuss and analyze the implications of IP telephony on the evolution and deployment of telemedicine and e-health.
- Utsumi, Y., Report of the Secretary-General on IP Telephony. ITU WTPF-2001 on IP Telephony. 7–9 March 2001. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/wtpf/sgreport/finalreport31Jan.htm.
- McTaggart, C., and Kelly, T., Background Issues Paper. ITU WTPF-2001 on IP Telephony. 14–16 June 2000. Retrieved from http://www.itu.int/osg/sec/spu/ni/iptel/workshop/iptel.doc.
- Lusweti, P., The IP opportunity. ITU News 2:6–7, March 2001.
- Sengodan, S., Koodli, R., and Rajahalme, J., Wireless and mobility issues in IP telephony. Proc. SPIE: Multimed. Syst. Appl. II 3845:68–76, Sept. 1999.
- Laxminarayan, S., and Istepanian, R. S., Unwired E-MED: The next generation of wireless and Internet telemedicine system. Proc. IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed. 4(3):189–193, Sept. 2000.
- Zhao, Y., Yagi, Y., Juzoji, H., and Nakajima, I., A study of wireless IP for telemedicine. Proc. Fourth Int. Symp. Multimed. Commun. (WPMC'01). Aalborg, Denmark, 3:1597–1600, Sept. 9–12, 2001.
- IP Telephony—New Horizon for Telemedicine and e-Health
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 26, Issue 4 , pp 277-283
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- IP telephony
- Voice-over-IP (VoIP)
- Internet telephony
- Industry Sectors