Emission of Nitrous Oxide from Rice-Wheat Systems of Indo-Gangetic Plains of India
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nitrous oxide (N2O) accounts for 5%of the total enhanced greenhouse effect and responsiblefor the destruction of the stratospheric ozone. The rice-wheat cropping system occupying 26 million ha ofproductive land in Asia could be a major source ofN2O as most of the fertilizer N in this region isconsumed by this system. Emission of N2O asinfluenced by application of urea, urea plus farm yardmanure (FYM), and urea plus dicyandiamide (DCD), anitrification inhibitor, was studied in rice-wheatsystems of Indo-Gangetic plains of India. Total emissionof N2O-N from the rice-wheat systems varied between654 g ha-1 in unfertilized plots and 1570 g ha-1 in urea fertilized plots. Application of FYM and DCDreduced emission of N2O-N in rice. The magnitude ofreduction was higher with DCD. In wheat also N2O-Nemission was reduced by DCD. FYM applied in rice had noresidual effect on N2O-N emission in wheat. In riceintermittent wetting and drying condition of soilresulted in higher N2O-N emission than that ofsaturated soil condition. Treatments with 5 irrigationsgave higher emissions in wheat than those with 3irrigations. In rice-wheat system, typical of a farmer'sfield in Indo-Gangetic plains, where 240 kg N isgenerally applied through urea, N2O-N emission is1570 g ha-1 (0.38% of applied N) and application ofFYM and DCD reduced it to 1415 and 1096 g ha-1,respectively.
- Anderson, I. C., Levine, J. S., Poth, M. A. and Riggan, P. J.: 1988, 'Enhanced bionic emissions of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide following surface biomes burning', J. Geophys. Res. 93, 3893-3898.
- Arah, J. R. M. and Smith, K. A.: 1989, 'Steady state denitrification in aggregated soils: a mathematical model', J. Soil Sci. 40, 39-149.
- Arah, J. R. M.: 1988, 'Modeling Denitrification in Aggregated Structureless Soils', in: D. S. Jenkinson and K. A. Smith (eds), Nitrogen Efficiency in Agricultural Soils, Elsevier, London, pp. 433-444.
- Aulakh, M. S., Doran, J. W. and Mosier, A. R.: 1992, 'Soil denitrification - significance, measurement, and effects of management', Adv. Soil Sci. 18, 2-42.
- Battle, M., Bender, M., Sowers, T., Tans, P. P., Butler, J. H., Elkins, J. W., Ellis, J. T., Conway, T., Zhang, N., Lang, P. and Clarke, A. D.: 1996, 'Atmospheric gas concentrations over the past century measured in air from fin at the south pole', Nature 383, 231-235.
- Buresh, R. J., Woodhead, T., Shepherd, K. D., Flordelis, E. and Cabangon, R. C.: 1989, 'Nitrate accumulation and loss in a mung bean-lowland rice cropping system', Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 53, 477-482.
- Burton, D. L. and Beauchamp, E. G.: 1985, 'Denitrification rate relationships with soil parameters in the field', Commun. Soil. Sci. Plant Anal. 16, 539-549.
- Castaldi, S. and Smith, K. A.: 1998, 'Effect of cyclohexamide on N2O and NO3-production in a forest and an agricultural soil', Biol. Fertil. Soils 27, 27-34.
- Davidson, E. A.: 1992, 'Sources of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide following wetting of dry soil', Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 56, 95-102.
- De Datta, S. K. and Buresh, R. J.: 1989, 'Integrated N management in irrigated rice', Adv. Agron. 10, 143-169.
- Debnath, G., Jain, M. C., Kumar, S., Sarkar, K. and Sinha, S. K.: 1996, 'Methane emissions from rice fields amended with biogas slurry and farm yard manure', Clim. Change 33, 97-109.
- Duxbury, J. M., Bouldin, D. R., Terry, R. E. and Tate, R. L. III.: 1982, 'Emissions of nitrous oxide from soils', Nature 275, 602-604.
- Duxbury, J. M. and McConnaughey, P. K.:1986, 'Effect of fertilizer source on denitrification and nitrous oxide emissions in a maize-field', Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 50, 644-648.
- George, T., Ladha, J. K., Buresh, R. J. and Garrity, D. P.: 1992, 'Managing native and legume fixed N in lowland rice based cropping systems', Plant Soil 141, 69-91.
- Granli, T. and Bockman, O. C.: 1994, 'Nitrous oxide from agriculture', Norwegian J. Agri. Sci. 12, 128-134.
- Hutchinson, G. L. and Mosier, A. R.: 1981, 'Improved soil cover method for field measurement of nitrous oxide flux', Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 45, 311-316.
- Ladha, J. K., Fischer, K. S., Hossain, M., Hobbs, P. R. and Hardy, B.: 2000, 'tImproving the productivity and sustainability of rice-wheat systems of the Indo-Gangetic Plains: a synthesis of NARS-IRRI partnership research', Discussion Paper no. 40. International Rice Research Institute, Philippines. p 31.
- Machida, T., Nakazawa, T., Fujii Yaola, S. and Watanabe, O.: 1995, 'Increase in the atmospheric nitrous oxide concentration during the last 250 years', Geophys. Res. Lett. 22, 2921-2924.
- Majumdar, D., Kumar, S., Pathak, H., Jain, M. C. and Kumar, U.: 2000, 'Reducing nitrous oxide emission from rice field with nitrification inhibitors', Agric. Ecosys. Environ. 81, 163-169.
- McTaggart, I. P., Clayton, H., Parker, J., Swan, L., Smith, K. A.: 1997, 'Nitrous oxide emissions from grassland and spring barley, following N fertilizer application with and without nitrification inhibitors', Biol. Fertil. Soils 25, 261-268.
- Mosier, A. R., Duxbury, J. M., Freney, J. R., Heinemeyer, O. and Minami, K.: 1996, 'Nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural fields: Assessment, measurement and mitigation', Plant Soil 181, 95-108.
- Mosier, A. R., Duxbury, J. M., Freney, J. R., Heinemeyer, O. and Minami, K.: 1998, 'Assessing and mitigating N2O emissions from agricultural soils', Clim. Change 40, 7-38.
- Page, A. L., Miller, R. H. and Keeney, D. R.: 1982, Methods of soil analysis. Part 2, Chemical and microbiological properties, 2nd edition, Agronomy No. 9, ASA-SSSA, Madison, WI, U.S.A., pp. 1159.
- Parkin, T. B.: 1987, 'Soil microsites as a source of denitrification variability', Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 51, 1194-1199.
- Pathak, H. and Nedwell, D. B.: 2001, 'Strategies to reduce nitrous oxide emission from soil with fertiliser selection and nitrification inhibitor', Water, Air, Soil Pollut. 129, 217-228.
- Pathak, H.: 1999, 'Emissions of nitrous oxide from soil', Curr. Sci. 77, 359-3691.
- Prade, K. and Trolldenier, G.: 1988, 'Effect of wheat roots on denitrification at varying soil air-filled porosity and organic carbon content', Soil Biol. Biochem. 7, 1-6.
- Prasad, R. and Power, J. F.: 1995, 'Nitrification inhibitors for agriculture, health and the environment', Adv. Agron. 54, 233-281.
- Prinn, R. D., Cunnold, R., Rasmussen, R., Simmonds, P., Alyea, F., Crawford, A., Fraser, P. and Resen, R.: 1990, 'Atmospheric emissions and trends of nitrous oxide deduced from 10 years of ALE-GAGE data', J. Geophys. Res. 95, 18369-18385.
- Rodhe, A. L.: 1990, 'A comparison of the contribution of various gases to the greenhouse effect', Science 248, 1217-1219.
- Skiba, U., Hargreaves, K. J., Beverland, I. J., Oneill, D. H., Fowler, D. and Moncrieff, J. B.: 1996, 'Measurement of field scale N2O emission fluxes from a wheat crop using micrometeorological techniques', Plant Soil 181, 139-144.
- Smith, K. A.:1980, 'A model of the extent of anaerobic zones in aggregated soils and its potential application to estimates of denitrification', J. Soil Sci. 31, 263-277.
- Upendra Kumar, Jain, M. C., Sushil Kumar, Pathak, H. and Majumdar, D.: 2000, 'Role of nitrification inhibitors on nitrous oxide emissions in a fertilized alluvial clay loam under different moisture regimes', Curr. Sci. 79, 224-228.
- Watson, R. T., Zinyowera, M. C., Moss, R. H. and Dokken, D. J.: 1996, Climate Change 1995, Impacts, Adaptations and Mitigation of Climate Change: Scientific-Technical Analyses, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, U.S.A., p. 879.
- Yoshinari, T.: 1990, 'Emissions of N2O from Various Environments - The Use of Stable Isotope Composition of N2O as Tracer for the Studies of N2O Biogeochemical Cycling', in: N. P. Revsbech and J. Sorenson (eds), Denitification in Soil and Sediment, pp. 129-149.
- Emission of Nitrous Oxide from Rice-Wheat Systems of Indo-Gangetic Plains of India
Environmental Monitoring and Assessment
Volume 77, Issue 2 , pp 163-178
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- dicyandiamide (DCD)
- farm yard manure
- nitrification inhibitor
- nitrous oxide emission
- rice-wheat systems
- Industry Sectors