A Model for Third Sound Attenuation in Thick 4He Films
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Third sound attenuation in thick 4He films has been observed to be much greater than predictions based on known mechanisms. We propose a possible mechanism for this observed high attenuation. Pinned vortices, possibly created when the superfluid transition is traversed, undergo driven oscillations in the third sound wave flow field. The dissipation is caused by two related effects. The first is due to the mutual friction between the vortex cores and the normal component. The second, larger contribution, is due to the drag experienced by a vortex-induced surface dimple. Variations in vortex density explain quite naturally the observed lack of reproducibility in attenuation measurements. A vortex density on the order of 1017m−2 is required to account for dissipation reported in several experiments. We discuss the temperature, frequency and thickness dependence of the dissipation. The proposed model is also applicable to a vortex contribution to fourth sound attenuation. If third sound attenuation is indeed a signature of a very dense array of pinned vorticity, then our conception of a homogeneous superfluid film needs considerable alteration.
- C. W. F. Everitt, K. R. Atkins, and A. Denenstein, Detection of third sound in liquid helium films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 8, 161 (1962).
- C. W. F. Everitt, K. R. Atkins, and A. Denenstein, Third sound in liquid helium films, Phys. Rev. A 136, 1494 (1964).
- A. M. R. Schecter, R. W. Simmonds, R. E. Packard, and J. C. Davis, Observation of “third sound” in superfluid He-3, Nature 396, 554 (1998).
- K. R. Atkins, Third and fourth sound in liquid helium II, Phys. Rev. 113, 962 (1959).
- D. Bergman, Hydrodynamics and third sound in thin He II films, Phys. Rev. 188, 370 (1969).
- D. J. Bergman, Third sound in superfluid helium films of arbitrary thickness, Phys. Rev. A 3, 2058 (1971).
- J. M. Kosterlitz and D. J. Thouless, Ordering, metastability and phase transition in two-dimensional systems, J. Phys. C 6, 1181 (1973).
- H. van Beelen and G. Bannink, The propagation of 3rd-sound in helium films, Physica B&C 122, 151 (1983).
- P. W. Brouwer, W. A. Draisma, H. van Beelen, and R. Jochemsen, On the propagation of third sound in 4He films, Physica B 215, 135 (1995).
- T. G. Wang and I. Rudnick, Anomalous attenuation of third sound, J. Low Temp. Phys. 9, 425 (1972).
- K. L. Telschow, R. K. Galkiewicz, and R. B. Hallock, Experiments on the attenuation of third sound in saturated superfluid helium films, Phys. Rev. B 14, 4883 (1976).
- K. C. Harvey and A. L. Fetter, Free surface of a rotating superfluid, J. Low Temp. Phys. 11, 473 (1973).
- F. M. Ellis and H. Luo, Low temperature exponential and liner free decay of 3rd sound resonances, Physica B 169, 521 (1991).
- F. M. Ellis and L. Li, Quantum swirling of superfluid helium films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 1577 (1993).
- F. M. Ellis, L. Keeler, and C. Wilson, Pinned vortex density in He-4 films produced and detected by third sound resonances, Physica B 194–196, 673 (1994).
- K. W. Schwarz, Charge-carrier mobilities in liquid helium at the vapor pressure, Phys. Rev. A 6, 873 (1972).
- C. F. Barenghi, R. J. Donnelly, and W. F. Vinen, Friction on quantized vortices in helium II. A review, J. Low Temp. Phys. 52, 189 (1983).
- W. D. McCormick, D. L. Goodstein, and J. G. Dash, Adsorbtion and Specific-Heat Studies of Monolayer and Submonolayer FIlms of He3 and He4, Phys. Rev. 168, 249 (1968).
- I. Rudnick, R. S. Kagiwida, J. C. Fraser, and E. Guyon, Third sound in adsorbed superfluid films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 20, 430 (1968).
- G. Baym, R. G. Barrera, and C. J. Pethick, Mobility of the electron bubble in superfluid helium, Phys. Rev. Lett. 22, 20 (1969).
- C. Zipfel and T. M. Sanders, Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Low Temperature Physics, St. Andrews, Scotland, (1968).
- R. Luusalo, A. Husmann, J. Kopu, and P. J. Hakonen, Pseudo-contact angle due to superfluid vortices in 4He, Europhys. Lett. 50, 222 (2000).
- L. B. Lurio, T. A. Rabedeau, P. S. Pershan, I. F. Silvera, M. Deutsch, S. D. Kosowski, and B. M. Ocko, X-ray specular reflectivity study of the liquid-vapor density profile of 4He, Phys. Rev. B 48, 9644 (1993).
- H. W. Jackson and P. V. Mason, Third-sound propagation in thick films of superfluid 4He, Phys. Rev. B 42, 7825 (1990).
- A Model for Third Sound Attenuation in Thick 4He Films
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 128, Issue 1-2 , pp 25-35
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors