Two Dimensional Array of Antenna-Coupled Microbolometers
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Antenna-coupled microbolometers are known for having short time constants and high responsivity, but their small dimensions make them unsuitable for imaging applications where a typical pixel area is generally greater than 20 × 20 μm2. In this paper a two dimensional array of antenna-coupled microbolometers is demonstrated as an area receiver. Using the response of microbolometers to visible frequencies a two-dimensional diagnostic scan in the visible was performed on these arrays which allowed measurement of their homogeneity. Frequency response measurements gave time constants around 130 nsec, similar to the ones obtained for single element microbolometers which indicates that a detector of virtually any size can be fabricated without sacrificing time response. Response and noise measurements show lower noise and higher responsivity compared to single element microbolometers. These results make two-dimensional arrays of antenna-coupled microbolometers a promising option for development of pixels in infrared focal plane arrays.
- C. Fumeaux, M. A. Gritz, I. Codreanu, W. L. Schaich, F. J. González, G. D. Boreman, “Measurement of the resonant lengths of infrared dipole antennas”, Infrared Physics & Technology, 41 (2000), pp. 271-281.
- Bajaj, J., “HgCdTe infrared detectors and focal plane arrays”, Conference on Optoelectronic and Microelectronic Materials Devices, 1998, pp. 23-31.
- C. Fumeaux, J. Alda, G. D. Boreman, “Lithographic antennas at visible frequencies”, Optics Letters, 24(22), 1999, pp. 1629-1631.
- F. J. Gonzalez, C. Fumeaux, J. Alda, G. D. Boreman, “Thermal impedance model of electrostatic discharge effects on microbolometers”, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 26(5), 2000, pp. 291-293.
- Sedky, S.; Fiorini, P.; Baert, K.; Hermans, L.; Mertens, R., “Characterization and optimization of infrared poly SiGe bolometers”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, 46(4), 1999, pp. 675-682.
- Kruse, P. W., Skatrud, D. D., Uncooled Infrared Imaging Arrays and Systems, Semiconductors and Semimetals vol. 47, Academic Press, 1997.
- Nagata, M.; Nagai, J.; Hijikata, K.; Morie, T.; Iwata, A., “Physical design guides for substrate noise reduction in CMOS digital circuits”, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, 36(3), 2001, pp. 539-549.
- Richards, P. L., “Bolometers for infrared and millimeter waves”, J. Appl. Phys. 76(1), 1994, pp. 1-24.
- Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Second Edition, John Wiley, 1997.
- Two Dimensional Array of Antenna-Coupled Microbolometers
International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 785-797
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- antenna-coupled detector
- infrared focal plane array
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Optics/CREOL, University of Central Florida, 4000 Central Florida Boulevard, Orlando, Florida, 32816-2700
- 2. Laboratory for Electromagnetic Fields and Microwave Electronics, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, ETH-Zurich, CH-8092, Zürich