Downward Sets and their separation and approximation properties
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We develop a theory of downward subsets of the space ℝI, where I is a finite index set. Downward sets arise as the set of all solutions of a system of inequalities x∈ℝI,ft(x)≤0 (t∈T), where T is an arbitrary index set and each f t (t∈T) is an increasing function defined on ℝI. These sets play an important role in some parts of mathematical economics and game theory. We examine some functions related to a downward set (the distance to this set and the plus-Minkowski gauge of this set, which we introduce here) and study lattices of closed downward sets and of corresponding distance functions. We discuss two kinds of duality for downward sets, based on multiplicative and additive min-type functions, respectively, and corresponding separation properties, and we give some characterizations of best approximations by downward sets. Some links between the multiplicative and additive cases are established.
- Bauschke, H. H. and Borwein, J. M. (1996), On projection algorithms for solving convex feasibility problems, SIAM Review 38: 367–426.
- Bauschke, H. H., Borwein, J. M. and Li, W. (1999), Strong conical hull intersection property, bounded linear regularity, Jameson's property (G), and error bounds in convex optimization, Mathematical Programming86: 135-160.
- Gondran, M. (1996), Analyse MINPLUS, Comptes Rendus de l'Académie des Sciences (Paris), Série 1, 323: 371-375.
- Gunawardena, J. (1998), An introduction to idempotency, In: J. Gunawardena (ed.): Idempotency, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1-49.
- Hoffman, A. J. (1952), On approximate solutions of systems of linear inequalities, Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards 49: 263-265.
- Kutateladze, S. S., and Rubinov, A. M. (1976), The Minkowski Duality and its Applications [Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk.
- Martínez-Legaz J. E., and Singer, I. (1992), Some characterizations of surrogate dual problems, Optimization 24: 1-11.
- Martínez-Legaz J. E., and Singer, I. (1994), *-dualities, Optimization 30: 295-315.
- Martínez-Legaz J. E., and Singer, I. (1997), On conjugations for functions with values in extensions of ordered groups, Positivity 1: 193-218.
- Pechersky, S. (2000), Axiomatic approach to excess functions for NTU games, In: Economic Research. Mathematical Models and Informational Technologies [Russian], Nauka, St.Petersburg, 65-81.
- Rubinov, A. M. (2000), Abstract Convexity and Global Optimization,Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.
- Rubinov, A. M. and Singer, I. (2000), Distance to the intersection of normal sets and applications, Numerical. Functional Analysis and Optimization 21: 521-535.
- Rubinov, A. M. and Singer, I. (2000), Best approximation by normal and conormal sets. Journal of Approximation Theory 107: 212-243.
- Singer, I. (1997), Abstract Convex Analysis, Wiley-Interscience, New York.
- Downward Sets and their separation and approximation properties
Journal of Global Optimization
Volume 23, Issue 2 , pp 111-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Abstract convex function
- Abstract convex set
- Downward set
- Min-type coupling function
- Plus-Minkowski gauge
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. CODE and Departament d'Economia i d'Història Econòmica, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. School of Information Technology and Mathematical Sciences, University of Ballarat, Ballarat, 3353, Victoria, Australia
- 3. Institute of Mathematics, P.O.Box 1-764, RO-70700, Bucharest, Romania