Is Meta-Analysis a Noah's Ark for Non-Market Valuation?
- V. Kerry SmithAffiliated withDepartment of Agricultural and Resource Economics, North Carolina State University RaleighResources for the Future
- , Subhrendu K. PattanayakAffiliated withRII International Research Triangle ParkDepartment of Forestry, North Carolina State University
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper describes meta-analytical methods as they have been appliedto non-market valuation research. These studies have been used to reviewand synthesize literature and, more recently, in benefit transfer. Thissecond use imposes a higher standard on the consistency in economicconcepts being summarized and in the resources included in ameta-analysis. To meet this need, the paper proposes and illustrates astructural framework using a generalized method of moments estimator toestimate the parameters of a preference function with the benefitsestimates usually encountered in meta-analytic summaries.
- Is Meta-Analysis a Noah's Ark for Non-Market Valuation?
Environmental and Resource Economics
Volume 22, Issue 1-2 , pp 271-296
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- benefit transfer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, North Carolina State University Raleigh, NC, USA
- 2. Resources for the Future, Washington, DC
- 3. RII International Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
- 4. Department of Forestry, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA