Toward the Characterization of Building Occupancies for Fire Safety Engineering: Capabilities of Disabled People Moving Horizontally and on an Incline
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is the second in a series of four that collectively provide a substantial body of knowledge on the egress capabilities of disabled people. Here, the results are given from an experimental program designed to determine the capabilities of disabled people to move on horizontal and inclined planes, broken down by presence or absence of a locomotion disability, degree of assistance required, and mobility aid used. The results of this study are presented in a form that is of use to all those involved in the difficult task of characterizing buildings and their occupants, which, it is suggested, are not mutually exclusive activities.
- Boyce, K. E., Shields, T. J., Silcock, G. W. H., “Toward the Characterization of Building Occupancies for Fire Safety Engineering: Prevalence, Type and Mobility of Disabled People,” Fire Technology, Vol. 35, No. 1 (1999), pp. 35–50.
- Approved Document M, Access and Facilities for Disabled People, Department of the Environment and the Welsh Office, The Building Regulations 1991, HMSO, 1992.
- McCoy D., Smith M., PPRU Surveys of Disability Report 1, “The Prevalence of Disability Among Adults in Northern Ireland,” Policy Planning and Research Unit, Social Policy Branch, 1992.
- Boyce, K. E., “Egress Capabilities of People with Disabilities,” D Phil Thesis, University of Ulster, 1996.
- World Health Organization, International Classification of Impairments, Disabilities and Handicaps, World Health Organization, Geneva, 1980.
- Toward the Characterization of Building Occupancies for Fire Safety Engineering: Capabilities of Disabled People Moving Horizontally and on an Incline
Volume 35, Issue 1 , pp 51-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- movement horizontal
- inclined planes
- mobility aid
- Industry Sectors