Pricing Upward-Only Adjusting Leases
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents a stochastic pricing model of a unique, path-dependent lease instrument common in the United Kingdom and numerous commonwealth countries, the upward-only adjusting lease. In this lease, the rental rate is fixed at lease commencement but will be reset to the market rate at predetermined intervals (usually every five years) if it exceeds the contract rent. We derive a closed form expression for the market rent of a lease with upward-only adjustments. Results indicate what the initial coupon rate on a 10-year lease with one reset should be relative to that on a symmetric up-and-downward adjusting “variable rate” lease under various economic conditions (level of real interest rates and expected drift and volatility of the underlying rental service flow). We also consider the calculation of effective rents when free rent periods are given.
- Baum, A., and N. Crosby. (1995). Property Investment Appraisal (2nd ed.), Routledge.
- Cox, J. C., and S. A. Ross. (1976). “The Valuation of Options for Alternative Stochastic Processes,” Journal of Financial Economics 3, 145-166.
- Crosby, N., and S. Murdoch. (1994). “Capital Value Implications of Free Rent Periods,” Journal of Property Valuation & Investment 12, 51-64.
- Crosby, N., and S. Murdoch. (1998). “Changing Lease Structures in Commercial Property Markets. Right Space: Right Price?” RICS Research Report Paper 2. London. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- Grenadier, S. R. (1996). “Leasing and Credit Risk,” Journal of Financial Economics 42, 333-364.
- Grenadier, S. R. (1995). “Valuing Lease Contracts: A Real-Options Approach,” Journal of Financial Economics 38, 297-331.
- Hendershott, P. H., C. M. Lizieri, and G. A. Matysiah. (1999). “The Workings of the London Office Market,” Real Estate Economics 27, 365-387.
- Hendershott, P. H., B. MacGregor, and M. White. (2001). “Explaining Real Commercial Rents Using an Error, Correction Model with Panel Data,” Journal of Real Estate Economics and Finance 21.
- McConnell, J. J., and J. S. Schallheim. (1983). “Valuation of Asset Leasing Contracts,” Journal of Financial Economics 12, 237-261.
- Miller, M. H., and C. W. Upton. (1976). “Leasing, Buying, and the Cost of Capital Services,” Journal of Finance 31, 761-786.
- Schallheim, J. S., and J. J. McConnell. (1985). “A Model for the Determination of ‘Fair’ Premiums on Lease Cancellation Insurance Policies,” Journal of Finance 40, 1439-1457.
- Pricing Upward-Only Adjusting Leases
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics
Volume 25, Issue 1 , pp 33-49
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- real options
- effective rents
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 40506, USA
- 2. St Mary's, King's College, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB24 3UF, Scotland, United Kingdom
- 3. Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 3200 N. Cramer St, Milwaukee, WI, 53201, USA