Characterization of cadmium- and lead- phytochelatin complexes formed in a marine microalga in response to metal exposure
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Phytochelatins (PCn) are thiol-containing peptides with general structure (γ-Glu-Cys)n-Gly enzymatically synthesized by plants and algae in response to metal exposure. They are involved in the cellular detoxification mechanism for their capability to form stable metal-phytochelatin complexes. The speciation of Cd and Pb complexes with phytochelatins has been studied in laboratory cultures of the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. An approach based on size-exclusion chromatography (SEC) with off-line detection of phytochelatins, by reverse-phase HPLC, and metal ion, by atomic absorption spectrometry, has been used. The formation of Cd- and Pb-PCn complexes with n-value from 3 to 6 was demonstrated. The metal-PCn complexes formed with Cd appear to be different from those formed with Pb for the number of molecules of peptide involved in the complex and for the amount of the metal ion bound. The chromatographic behaviour of metal-PCn complexes is consistent with Pb-PCn complexes in which only a molecule of peptide binds the metal ion, and with Cd-PCn complexes containing two or more molecules of peptide. The metal/peptide molar ratio in Cd-PCn complexes was higher that in Pb-PCn complexes. The formation of Cd- or Pb-PC2 complexes was not demonstrated, probably for a dissociation during the cellular extract preparation. The effectiveness of phytochelatins in the detoxification of these two metal ions in this alga is discussed.
- Ahner BA, Kong S, Morel FMM. 1995 Phytochelatin production in marine algae. 1. An interspecies comparison. Limnol Oceanog 40, 649-657.
- Ahner BA, Morel FMM. 1995 Phytochelatin production in marine algae. 2. Induction by various metals. Limnol Oceanog 40, 658-665.
- Ahner BA, Morel FMM, Moffett JW. 1997 Trace metal control of phytochelatin production in coastal waters. Limnol Oceanog 42, 601-608.
- Fahey RC, Newton GL. 1987 Determination of low-molecular-weight thiols using monobromobimane fluorescent labeling and high-performance liquid chromatography. In: Jakoby WB, Griffith OW, eds. Methods in Enzymology 143. Academic Press: New York; 85-96.
- Friederich M, Kneer R, Zenk MH. 1998 Enzymic synthesis of phytochelatins in gram quantities. Phytochem 49, 2323-2329.
- Gekeler W, Grill E, Winnacker EL, Zenk MH. 1988 Algae sequester heavy metals via synthesis of phytochelatin complexes. Arch Microbiol 150, 197-202.
- Gekeler W, Grill E, Winnacker EL, Zenk MH. 1989 Survey of the plant kingdom for the ability to bind heavy metals through phytochelatins. Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung 44c, 361-369.
- Grill E, Winnacker EL, Zenk MH. 1985 Phytochelatins: The principal heavy-metal complexing peptides of higher plants. Science 230, 674-676.
- Grill E, Winnacker EL, Zenk MH. 1987 Phytochelatins, a class of heavy-metal-binding peptides from plants, are functionally analogous to metallothioneins. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84, 439-443.
- Grill E, Loffler S, Winnacker EL, Zenk MH. 1989 Phytochelatins, the heavy-metal-binding-peptides of plants, are synthesized from glutathione by a specific γ-glutamylcysteine dipeptidyl transpeptidase (phytochelatin synthase). Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86, 6838-6842.
- Guillard RRL. 1975 Cultures of phytoplankton for feeding marine invertebrates. In: Smith, WL, Chanley MH, eds. Culture of marine invertebrates animals. Plenum Press: New York; 29-60.
- Gupta M, Rai UN, Tripathi RD, Chandra P. 1995 Lead induced changes in glutathione and phytochelatin in Hydrilla verticillata (l.f.) Royle. Chemosphere 30, 2011-2020.
- Hu S, Wu M. 1998 Cadmium sequestration in the marine macroalga Kappaphycus alvarezii. Mol Mar Biol Biotechnol 7, 97-104.
- Knauer K, Ahner BA, Xue HB, Sigg L. 1998 Metal and phytochelatin content in phytoplankton from freshwater lakes with different metal concentrations. Environ Toxicol Chem 17, 2444-2452.
- Kneer R, Zenk MH. 1992 Phytochelatins protect plant enzymes from heavy metal poisoning. Phytochem 31, 2663-2667.
- Kneer R, Zenk MH. 1997 The formation of Cd-phytochelatin complexes in plant cell cultures. Phytochem 44, 69-74.
- Leopold I, Gunther D. 1997 Investigation of the binding properties of heavy-metal-peptide complexes in plant cell cultures using HPLC-ICP-MS. Fresenius J Anal Chem 359, 364-370.
- Maitani T, Kubota H, Sato K, Yamada T. 1996 The composition of metals bound to class III metallothionein (phytochelatin and its desglycyl peptide) induced by various metals in root cultures of Rubia tinctorum. Plant Physiol 110, 1145-1150.
- Mehra RK, Kodati VR, Adbullah R. 1995 Chain length-dependent Pb(II)-coordination in phytochelatins. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 215, 730-736.
- Morelli E, Scarano G. 1995 Cadmium induced phytochelatins in marine alga Phaeodactylum tricornutum: Effect of metal speciation. Chem Spec and Bioavailab 7, 1-5.
- Morelli E, Scarano G. 2001 Synthesis and stability of phytochelatins induced by cadmium and lead in the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Mar Environ Res 52, 383-395.
- Newton GL, Dorian L, Fahey RC. 1981 Analysis of biological thiols: Derivatization with monobromobimane and separation by reverse-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal Biochem 114, 383-387.
- Rabinowitz JC. 1978 Analysis of acid-labile sulfide and sulfhydryl groups. In: Fleischer S, Packer L, eds. Methods in Enzymology 53. Academic Press: New York; 275-277.
- Rauser WE. 1995 Phytochelatins and related peptides. Structure, biosynthesis and function. Plant Physiol 109, 1141-1149.
- Rauser WE. 2000 Roots of maize seedlings retain most of their cadmium through two complexes. J Plant Physiol 156, 545-551.
- Vacchina V, Lobinski R, Oven M, Zenk MH. 2000 Signal identification in size-exclusion HPLC-ICP-MS chromatograms of plant extracts by electrospray tandem mass spectrometry (ESMS/MS). J Anal At Spectrom 15, 529-534.
- Winge DR, Dameron CT, Mehra RK. 1992 Metal: sulfide quantum crystallites in yeast. In: Stillman MJ, Shaw III CF, Suzuki KT eds. Metallothioneins. VCH Publishers: New York; 257-270.
- Yen T-Y, Villa JA, DeWitt JG. 1999 Analysis of phytochelatin-cadmium complexes from plant tissue culture using nanoelectrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry and capillary liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Mass Spectr 34, 930-941.
- Zenk MH. 1996 Heavy metals detoxification in higher plants-a review. Gene 179, 21-30.
- Characterization of cadmium- and lead- phytochelatin complexes formed in a marine microalga in response to metal exposure
Volume 15, Issue 2 , pp 145-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- metal-binding peptides
- Phaeodactylum tricornutum
- Industry Sectors