Prospective study of IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins, and breast cancer risk, in Northern and Southern Sweden
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective: To examine the possible relationships of breast cancer risk to prediagnostic plasma levels of insulin; insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I); and IGF-binding proteins -1, -2, and -3. Methods: Within two prospective cohorts in Umeå and Malmö we measured plasma concentrations of insulin, IGF-I, and IGFBPs for a total of 513 incident breast cancer cases and 987 matched controls. Results: Globally, risk was unassociated with levels of IGF-I, IGFBP-3, or IGF-I adjusted for IGFBP-3. When breaking down the analysis by subgroups of age at blood donation, an increase in risk was observed for increasing levels of IGF-I in women aged 55 or older, in the Umeå cohort only (odds ratios of 1.00, 1.73, 1.76, 1.90; p trend = 0.05). This effect weakened, however, when the analysis was restricted to subjects who did not use exogenous hormones for the treatment of menopausal symptoms. Levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 were not related to risk in younger women, recruited before age 50, contrary to observations from previous studies. In a subcohort where blood samples had been collected after at least four hours of fasting, breast cancer risk showed no clear associations with levels of insulin, IGFBP-1, or IGFBP-2. Conclusions: Our results do not confirm earlier findings of an association of plasma IGF-I levels with breast cancer risk especially in young women, but suggest a possible association with postmenopausal breast cancer risk, possibly among ERT/HRT users only. Our results do not support the hypothesis that elevated plasma insulin levels, and reduced levels of IGFBP-1 and IGFBP-2, are associated with increased breast cancer risk.
- Thissen JP, Ketelslegers JM, Underwood LE (1994) Nutritional regulation of the insulin-like growth factors. Endocrinol Rev 15: 18-101.
- Jones JI, Clemmons DR (1995) Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: biological actions. Endocrinol Rev 16: 3-34.
- Rosfjord EC, Dickson RB (1999) Growth factors, apoptosis, and survival of mammary epithelial cells. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 4: 229-237.
- Khandwala HM, McCutcheon IE, Flyvbjerg A, Friend KE (2000) The effects of insulin-like growth factors on tumorigenesis and neoplastic growth. Endocrinol Rev 21: 215-244.
- Ng ST, Zhou J, Adesanya OO, Wang J, LeRoith D, Bondy CA (1997) Growth hormone treatment induces mammary gland hyperplasia in aging primates. Nat Med 3: 1141-1144.
- Hadsell DL, Bonnette SG (2000) IGF and insulin action in the mammary gland: lessons from transgenic and knockout models. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 5: 19-30.
- Wennbo H, Tornell J (2000) The role of prolactin and growth hormone in breast cancer. Oncogene 19: 1072-1076.
- Kaaks R, Lukanova A (2001) Energy balance and cancer: the role of insulin and insulin-like growth factor-I. Proc Nutr Soc 60 (In press).
- Kaaks R (1996) Nutrition, hormones, and breast cancer: is insulin the missing link? Cancer Causes Control 7: 605-625.
- Hankinson SE, Willett WC, Colditz GA, et al. (1998) Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer. Lancet 351: 1393-1396.
- Toniolo P, Bruning PF, Akhmedkhanov A, et al. (1993) Serum insulin-like growth factor-I and breast cancer. Int J Cancer 88: 828-832.
- Peyrat JP, Bonneterre J, Hecquet B, et al. (1993) Plasma insulinlike growth factor-I (IGF-I) concentrations in human breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 29A: 492-497.
- Bruning PF, Van Doorn J, Bonfrer JM, et al. (1995) Insulin-like growth-factor-binding protein 3 is decreased in early-stage operable pre-menopausal breast cancer. Int J Cancer 62: 266-270.
- Bohlke K, Cramer DW, Trichopoulos D, Mantzoros CS (1998) Insulin-like growth factor-I in relation to premenopausal ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Epidemiology 9: 570-573.
- Del Giudice ME, Fantus IG, Ezzat S, McKeown-Eyssen G, Page D, Goodwin PJ (1998) Insulin and related factors in premenopausal breast cancer risk. Breast Cancer Res Treat 47: 111-120.
- Petridou E, Papadiamantis Y, Markopoulos C, Spanos E, Dessypris N, Trichopoulos D (2000) Leptin and insulin growth factor I in relation to breast cancer (Greece). Cancer Causes Control 11: 383-338.
- Clemmons DR (1997) Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and their role in controlling IGF actions. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 8: 45-62. IGF-I, IGFBPs, and breast cancer 315
- Berglund G, Elmstahl S, Janzon L, Larsson SA (1993) The Malmo Diet and Cancer Study. Design and feasibility. J Intern Med 233: 45-51.
- Campagnoli C, Biglia N, Cantamessa C, Di Sario MM, Lesca L (1997) Effect of progestins on IGF-I serum level in estrogen-treated postmenopausal women. Zentralbl Gynakol 119 (Suppl. 2): 7-11.
- Ho KK, O'Sullivan AJ, Weissberger AJ, Kelly JJ (1996) Sex steroid regulation of growth hormone secretion and action. Horm Res 45: 67-73.
- Magnusson C, Baron JA, Correia N, Bergstrom R, Adami HO, Persson I (1999) Breast-cancer risk following long-term oestrogenand oestrogen-progestin-replacement therapy. Int J Cancer 81: 339-344.
- Olsson H, Bladstrom A, Ingvar C, Moller TR (2001) A population-based cohort study of HRT use and breast cancer in southern Sweden. Br J Cancer 85: 674-677.
- Hammar M, Brynhildsen J, Dabrosin L, et al. (1996) Hormone replacement therapy and previous use of oral contraceptives among Swedish women. Maturitas 25: 193-199.
- Campagnoli C, Biglia N, Peris C, Sismondi P (1995) Potential impact on breast cancer risk of circulating insulin-like growth factor I modifications induced by oral HRT in menopause. Gynecol Endocrinol 9: 67-74.
- Bruning PF, Bonfrer JM, Van Noord PA, Hart AA, Jong-Bakker M, Nooijen WJ (1992) Insulin resistance and breast-cancer risk. Int J Cancer 52: 511-516.
- Prospective study of IGF-I, IGF-binding proteins, and breast cancer risk, in Northern and Southern Sweden
Cancer Causes & Control
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 307-316
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- breast cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Unit of Nutrition and Cancer, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 Cours Albert Thomas, 69372, Lyon Cedex 08, France
- 2. University of Umeå, Sweden
- 3. Lund University, UMAS, 205 02, Malmö, Sweden