SiC nanorods prepared from SiO and activated carbon
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
SiC nanorods with 20–100 nm diameter and 10–100 μm length were synthesized by reaction between SiO and amorphous activated carbon (AAC) at 1380°C. Microstructural characterization of the SiC nanorods was carried out by high resolution transmission electron microscopy (HRTEM) and energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS). The SiC nanorods grow on either a chain or from facets of SiC nanoparticles. They are usually straight and preferentially orientated along the  direction. Branching phenomenon exists for these nanorods. Typical SiC nanorod tip was analyzed by HRTEM image and EDS analysis. Based on an experimental analysis, a formation mechanism is proposed to explain the microstructural characterization of the SiC nanorods.
- A. R. VERMA and P. KRISHNA, “Polymorphism and Polytypism in Crystals” (JohnWily and Sons, NewYork, 1966) p. 63, 97.
- W. Q. HAN, S. S. FAN, Q. Q. LI, W. J. LIANG, B. L. GU and D. P. YU, Chem. Phys. Lett. 265 (1997) 374.
- E. W. WONG, P. E. SHEEHAN and C. M. LIEBER, Science 277 (1997) 1971.
- G. W. MENG, L. D. ZHANG, C. M. MO, S. Y. ZHANG, Y. QIN, S. P. FENG and H. J. LI, J. Mater. Res. 13 (1998) 2533.
- H. J. DAI, E. W. WONG, Y. Z. LU, S. S. FANG and C. M. LIEBER, Nature (London) 375 (1995) 769.
- R. S. WAGNER and W. C. ELLIS, Appl. Phys. Lett. 4 (1964) 89.
- B. R. PAMPLIN, “Crystal Growth,” 2nd ed. (Pergamon Press, 1980) p. 58.
- A. C. ZETTLEMOYER, “Nucleation” (Marcel Dekker, 1969) p. 337.
- M. W. CHASE, JR., C. A. DAVIES, J. R. DOWNEY, JR., D. J. FRURIP, R. A. MCDONALS and A. N. SYVERUD, “JANAF Thermochemical Tables,” 3rd ed. (American Chemical Society and the American Institute of Physics, 1985).
- SiC nanorods prepared from SiO and activated carbon
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 37, Issue 10 , pp 2023-2029
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors