Optimization of dilution rate for the production of value added product and simultaneous reduction of organic load from pineapple cannery waste
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Candida utiilis NRRL Y-900 was grown on pineapple cannery waste as the sole carbon and energy source in a chemostat at dilution rates ranging between 0.05 and 0.65 h−1 to determine the growth kinetics. The cell yield coefficient varied with dilution rate and a maximum value of 0.662 ± 0.002 gx/gcarb was obtained at a dilution rate of 0.4 h−1. At steady state, the concentrations of carbohydrate, reducing sugar, and chemical oxygen demand (COD) appeared to follow Monod kinetics. At maximum specific growth rate (μmax) 0.65 h−1, the saturation constants for carbohydrate, reducing sugar and COD were 0.51 ± 0.02 gcarb/1, 0.046 ± 0.003 grs/1, and 1.036 ± 0.001 gCOD/1, respectively. Maximum biomass productivity (Q x max) 2.8 ± 0.03 gx/1 h was obtained at a dilution rate of 0.5 h−1. At this dilution rate, only 71.0 ± 0.41% COD was removed whereas at a dilution rate of 0.1 h−1, 98.2 ± 0.35% reduction in COD was achieved. At a dilution rate of 0.4 h−1, the optimal yeast productivity and reduction in COD were 2.7 ± 0.13 gp/1 h, and 84.2 ± 0.42%, respectively.
- Abbott, B.J. & Clamen, A. 1973 The relationship of substrate, growth rate, and maintenance coefficient to single-cell protein production. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 15, 117–127. CrossRef
- Alain, K., Georges, A.N. & Aka, Y. 1987 Ethanol production from pineapple cannery juice in Co'te d'lvoire with preselected yeast strains. Journal of Fermentation Technology 65, 475–581. CrossRef
- American Public Health Association. 1995 Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. Washington, DC. ISBN-0-87553-223-3.
- Birch, G.G., Parker, K.J. & Worgan, J.T. 1976 Food from Waste. London: Applied Science Publishers. ISBN-0-85334659-3.
- Chye, T.T. & Meng, L.C. 1975 Industrial alcohol from pineapple waste. Journal of Singapore National Academy of Science 4, 152–154.
- Lawford, G.R., Kligerman, A., Williams, T. & Lawford, H.G. 1979 Production of high quality edible protein from Candida yeast grown in continuous culture. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 21, 1163–1174. CrossRef
- Nigam, J.N. 1998 Single cell protein from pineapple cannery effluent. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 14, 693–696. CrossRef
- Nigam, J.N. 1999 Continuous production of ethanol from pineapple cannery waste. Journal of Biotechnology 72, 197–202. CrossRef
- Nishio, N. & Nagai, S. 1981 Single cell protein production from mandarin orange peel. European Journal of Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 11, 156–160. CrossRef
- Ogunye, A.F., Susu, A.A. & Digwo, N.N. 1978 Ethanol production from pineapple juice. Nigerian Journal of Engineering and Technology 1, 24–29.
- Paredes-Lopez, O., Camargo-Rubio, E. & Ornelas-Vale, A. 1976 Influence of specific growth rate on biomass yield, productivity, and composition of Candida utilis in batch and continuous culture. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 31, 487–491.
- Pirt, S.J. 1975 Principles of Microbes and Cell Cultivation. London, New York: Blackwell Scientific Publications. ISBN 0632081 503.
- Prior, B.A., Lategan, P.M., Botes, P.J. & Potgieter, II. J. 1980 Ethanol production from pineapple cannery effluent. Journal of South African Food Reviews 71, 120–123.
- Umbreit, W.W., Burris, R.H. & Stauffer, J.E. 1972 Manometric and Biochemical Techniques, 5th edn. Minneapolis: Burgess Publication Co.
- van Zyl, C., Prior, B.A. & du Preez, J.C. 1988 Production of ethanol from sugar cane bagasse hemicellulose hydrolysate by Pichia stipitis. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 19, 357–367.
- Wang, D.I.C., Conney, C.L., Demain, A.L., Dunnill, P., Humphrey, A.E. & Lilly, M.D. 1979 Fermentation and Enzyme Technology. New York: Wiley.
- Optimization of dilution rate for the production of value added product and simultaneous reduction of organic load from pineapple cannery waste
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 303-308
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Candida utilis
- continuous culture
- growth kinetics
- pineapple cannery waste
- steady state
- Industry Sectors