A Generalization of the Collatz Problem. Building Cycles and a Stochastic Approach
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The (3x+1)/2 problem is generalized into the n-furcation problem (l i x+m i )/n where i∈[0, 1, ..., n−1]. It is shown that, under some constraints on l i and m i , the main bijection property between the k less significant digits of the seed, written in base n, and the sequence of generalized parities of the k first iterates is preserved. This property is used to investigate a stochastic treatment of ensemble of large value seeds. The bijection property predicts stochasticity for a number of iterations equals to the number of significant digits of the seed. In fact, the stochastic approach is valid for much larger numbers, a property which is more easily shown by using increasing sequences than decreasing ones. Finally, we extend the stochastic approach to cases where the bijection theorem does not hold, introducing the matrix giving the probability that a “j” number (where j is the last significant digit of this number written in base n) gives a “i” number iterate.
- J. C. Lagarias, The 3x+1 problem and its generalizations, American Mathematical Monthly 92:3–23 (1985).
- G. T. Leavens and M. Vermeulen, 3x+1 search programs, Computers and Mathematics with Application 24(11):79–99 (1992).
- J. H. Conwey, Unpredictable Iterations, Proceedings of the number theory conference (University of Colorado, Boulder, 1972).
- K. R. Matthews and A. M. Watts, A generalization of Hasse's generalization of the Syracuse algorithm, Acta Arithmetica XLIII:167–175 (1984).
- K. R. Matthews and A. M. Watts, A Markov approach to the generalized Syracuse algorithm, Acta Arithmetica XLV:29–42 (1985).
- R. N. Buthsworth and K. R. Matthews, On some Markov matrices arising from the generalized Collatz mapping, Acta Arithmetica LV:43–57 (1990).
- M. R. Feix, A. Muriel, D. Merlini, and R. Tratini, The (3x+1)/2 problem: A statistical approach, in Stochastic Process, Physics and Geometry, Locarno, Switzerland, 24–26 June 1991, S. Albervio, U. Cattaneo, and D. Merlin, eds. (World Scientific, 1991), pp. 289–300.
- M. R. Feix, A. Muriel, and J.-L. Rouet, Statistical properties of an iterated mapping, J. Statist. Phys. 76:725–741 (1994).
- R. Terras, A stopping time problem on the positive integers, Acta Arithmetica 30:241–252 (1976).
- J. C. Lagarias and A. Weiss, The 3x+1 problem: Two stochastic models, Annals of Applied Probability 2:229–261 (1992).
- A Generalization of the Collatz Problem. Building Cycles and a Stochastic Approach
Journal of Statistical Physics
Volume 107, Issue 5-6 , pp 1283-1298
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- 3x+1 problem
- Collatz problem
- mixing process
- random walk
- numerical simulation
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire de Mathématique, Applications et Physique Mathématique—UMR 6628, Université d'Orléans, UFR des Sciences, F-45067, Orléans Cedex 2, France
- 2. Ecole des Mines de Nantes, SUBATECH, La Chantrerie, 4 rue A. Kastler, B.P. 20722, F-44307, Nantes Cedex 3, France