Expanding the genetic map of maize with the intermated B73 × Mo17 (IBM) population
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of intermating on recombination and the development of linkage maps were assessed in maize. Progeny derived from a common population (B73 × Mo17) before and after five generations of intermating were genotyped at the same set of 190 RFLP loci. Intermating resulted in nearly a four-fold increase in the genetic map distance and increased the potential for improved genetic resolution in 91% of the intervals evaluated. This mapping population and related information should connect research involving dense genetic maps, physical mapping, gene isolation, comparative genomics, analysis of quantitative trait loci and investigations of heterosis.
- Beavis, W.D., Lee, M., Grant, D., Hallauer, A.R., Owens, T., Katt, M. and Blair, D. 1992. The influence of random mating on recombination among RFLP loci. Maize Genet. Coop. Newsl. 66: 52-53.
- Burr, B. and Burr, F.A. 1991. Recombinant inbreds for molecular mapping in maize: theoretical and practical consideration. Trends Genet. 7: 55-60.
- Casa, A.M., Brouwer, C., Nagel, A., Wang, L., Kresovich, S. and Wessler, S.R. 2000. The MITE heartbreaker (Hbr): molecular markers in maize. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA 97: 10083-10089.
- Civardi, L., Xia, Yiji, Edwards, K.J., Schnable, P.S., and Nikolau, B.J. 1994. The relationship between genetic and physical distances in the cloned al-sh2 interval of the Zea mays L. genome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 91: 8268-8272.
- Covarrubias-Prieto, J., Hallauer, A.R. and Lamkey, K.R. 1989. Intermating F2 populations of maize. Genetika 21: 111-126.
- Davis, G.L., McMullen, M.D., Baysdorfer, C., Musket, T. Grant, D., Staebell, M., Xu, G., Polacco, M., Koster, L., Melia-Hancock, S., Houchins, K., Chao, S. and Coe, E.H. Jr. 1999. A maize map standard with sequenced core markers, grass genome reference points and 932 expressed sequence tagged sites (ESTs) in a 1736-locus map. Genetics 152: 1137-1172.
- Gardiner, J.M., Coe, E.H., Melia-Hancock, S., Hoisington, D.A. and Chao, S. 1993. Development of a core RFLP map using an immortalized F2 population of maize. Genetics 134: 917-930.
- Gill, K.S., Gill, B.S., Endo, T.R. and Boyko, E.V. 1996. Identification and high-density mapping of gene-rich region in chromosome group 5 of wheat. Genetics 143: 1001-1012.
- Lander, E.S., Green, P., Abrahamson, J., Barlow, A., Daly, M.J., Lincoln, S.E. and Newburg, I. 1987. MAPMAKER: an interactive computer package for constructing linkage maps of experimental and natural populations. Genomics 1: 174-181.
- Liu, S.-C., Kowalsky, S.P., Lan, T.-H., Feldmann, K.A. and Paterson, A.H. 1996. Genome-wide high-resolution mapping by recurrent intermating using Arabidopsis thaliana as a model. Genetics 142: 247-258.
- Ott, J. 1991. Analysis of Human Genetic Linkage. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- Senior, M.L., Chin, E.C.L., Lee, M., Smith, J.S.C. and Stuber, C.W. 1996. Simple sequence repeat markers developed from maize sequences found in the GenBank database: map construction. Crop Sci. 36: 1676-1683.
- Stuber, C.W., Lincoln, S.E., Wolff, S.W., Helentjaris, T. and Lander, E. S. 1992. Identification of genetic factors contributing to heterosis in a hybrid from two elite maize inbred lines using molecular markers. Genetics 132: 823-839.
- Veldboom, L.R., Lee, M. and Woodman, W.L. 1994. Molecular marker-facilitated studies in an elite maize population. I. Linkage analysis and determination of QTL for morphological traits. Theor. Appl. Genet. 88: 7-16.
- Wilson, W.A., Harrington, S.E., Woodman, W.L., Lee, M., Sorrells, M.E. and McCouch, S. R. 1999. Inferences on the genome structure of progenitor maize through comparative analysis of rice, maize and the domesticated panicoids. Genetics 153: 453-473.
- Expanding the genetic map of maize with the intermated B73 × Mo17 (IBM) population
Plant Molecular Biology
Volume 48, Issue 5-6 , pp 453-461
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- genetic mapping
- intermated population
- Zea mays L.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Agronomy, Iowa State University, 1553 Agronomy Hall, Ames, IA, 50010, USA
- 3. Curtis Hall, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, 65211, USA
- 2. Pioneer Hi-Bred Intl., Johnston, IA, 50131, USA
- 4. National Center for Genome Resources, Santa Fe, NM
- 5. USDA-ARS, Department of Agronomy, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 50010, USA