Hall Subgroups of Odd Order in Finite Groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We complete the description of Hall subgroups of odd order in finite simple groups initiated by F. Gross, and as a consequence, bring to a close the study of odd order Hall subgroups in all finite groups modulo classification of finite simple groups. In addition, it is proved that for every set π of primes, an extension of an arbitrary D π -group by a D π-group is again a D π -group. This result gives a partial answer to Question 3.62 posed by L. A. Shemetkov in the “Kourovka Notebook.”.
- A. S. Kondratiev, "Subgroups of finite Chevalley groups," tiUsp. Mat. Nauk, 41, No. 1(247), 57-96 (1986).
- tiThe Kourovka Notebook, Institute of Mathematics SO RAN, Novosibirsk (1999).
- Ph. Hall, "Theorems like Sylow's," tiProc. London Math. Soc., III. Ser., 6, No. 22, 286-304 (1956).
- J. G. Thompson, "Hall subgroups of the symmetric groups," J. Comb. Theory, Ser. A, No. 1, 271-279 (1966).
- Gross, F. (1986) On a conjecture of Philip Hall. Proc. London Math. Soc., III. Ser. 52: pp. 464-494
- Gross, F. (1993) Hall subgroups of order not divisible by 3. Rocky Mountain J. Math. 23: pp. 569-591
- Revin, D. O. (1999) Hall π-subgroups of finite Chevalley groups whose characteristic belongs to π. Mat. Trudy 2: pp. 160-208
- Revin, D. O. (1999) Two D π-theorems for a class of finite groups. NIIDM, Novosibirsk
- Gross, F. (1995) Odd order Hall subgroups of the classical linear groups. Math. Z. 220: pp. 317-336
- Gross, F. (1987) Conjugacy of odd order Hall subgroups. Bull. London Math. Soc. 19: pp. 311-319
- Kargapolov, M. I., Merzlyakov, Y. I. (1996) Fundamentals of Group Theory [in Russian]. Nauka, Moscow
- Carter, R. W. (1972) Simple Groups of Lie Type. Pure Appl. Math., Vol. 28. Wiley, London
- Humphreys, J. E. (1975) Linear Algebraic Groups. Springer, New York
- Carter, R. W. (1978) Centralizers of semisimple elements in finite groups of Lie type. Proc. London Math. Soc., III. Ser. 37: pp. 491-507
- Carter, R. W. (1972) Conjugacy classes in the Weyl group. Comp. Math. 25: pp. 1-59
- Humphreys, J. E. (1995) Conjugacy Classes in Semisimple Algebraic Groups, Math. Surv. Mon., Vol. 43. Am. Math. Soc., Providence, R.I.
- D. Deriziotis, "Conjugacy classes and centralizers of semisimple elements in finite groups of Lie type," Vorlesungen aus dem Fachbereich Mathetmatic der Universität Essen, Heft 11 (1984).
- Carter, R. W. (1981) Centralizers of semisimple elements in finite classical groups. Proc. London Math. Soc., III. Ser. 42: pp. 1-41
- Deriziotis, D. (1983) The centralizers of semisimple elements of the Chevalley groups E 7 and E 8. Tokyo J. Math. 6: pp. 191-216
- Suzuki, M. (1962) On a class of doubly transitive groups. Ann. Math., II. Ser. 75: pp. 105-145
- Ward, H. N. (1966) On Ree's series of simple groups. Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 121: pp. 62-80
- Borovik, A. V. (1989) The structure of finite subgroups of simple algebraic groups. Algebra Logika 28: pp. 249-279
- Mazurov, V. D., Revin, D. O. (1997) The Hall D π-property for finite groups. Sib. Mat. Zh. 38: pp. 125-134
- R. Steinberg, Lectures on Chevalley Groups, Yale University (1967).
- Borovik, A. V. (1989) Jordan subgroups of simple algebraic groups. Algebra Logika 28: pp. 144-159
- D. Gorenstein and R. Lyons, The Local Structure of Finite Groups of Characteristic 2 Type, Mem. Am. Math. Soc. Vol. 42(276), Providence, R.I. (1983).
- Hall Subgroups of Odd Order in Finite Groups
Algebra and Logic
Volume 41, Issue 1 , pp 8-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- finite simple group, Hall subgroup, exceptional groups of Lie type