Modelling the Planetary Nebula
- Don Pollacco
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Deep narrow-band imaging and spectroscopy of the Planetary Nebula (PN)surrounding V4334 Sagittarii have been obtained since the onset of thethermal pulse in the star. Although of low surface brightness,narrow-band imaging suggests a ring structure maybepresent. Abundances, expansion rates and physical parameters for thenebula, derived from spectroscopy, show the plasma to be essentiallytypical of old evolved PN (within the errors of observation). The mostrecent data show little evidence of recombination indicating a verylow plasma electron density.Assuming no recombination has occurred, models of the PN spectrum wereconstructed using both simplistic ideas as well as sophisticatedphoto-ionisation codes. These show good agreement, and suggest that thepre-outburst UV radiation field would need to be powered by aprecursor with a surface temperature of T ⋆ > 105K. The luminosity ofthis star is less well constrained by the models, and cannot be usedsolely to accurately determine its distance. However, by excludingunrealistic models we expect 250 > L/Lodot > 1000 or so. When plotted ona HR diagram for evolved stars this shows good agreement with thatexpected for a pre-last thermal pulse object.
- Barker, T.: 1983, ApJ 267, 630.
- Duerbeck, H.W. and Benetti, S.: 1996, ApJ 468, L111.
- Duerbeck, H.W. and Pollacco, D.L.: 1996, IAUC 6328.
- Eyres, S.P.S., Richards, A.M.S., Evans, A. and Bode, M.F.: 1998, MNRAS 297, 905.
- Ferland, G.J.: 1996, University of Kentucky, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Internal Report.
- Iben, I. Jr. and MacDonald, J.: 1995, in: D. Koester and K. Werner, White Dwarfs, Springer, p. 48.
- Jacoby, G.H., de Marco, O. and Sawyer, D.G.: 1998, AJ 116, 1367.
- Kerber, F., Köppen, J., Roth, M. and Trager, S.C.: 1999, A&A 344, L79.
- Kerber, F., Palsa, R., Köppen, J., Blöcker, T. and Rosa, M.R.: 2000, ESO Messenger 101, 27.
- Köppen, J.: 1979, A&AS 35, 111.
- Pollacco, D.L.: 1999, MNRAS 304, 127.
- Rauch, T., Köppen, J. and Werner, K.: 1996, A&A 310, 613.
- Modelling the Planetary Nebula
Astrophysics and Space Science
Volume 279, Issue 1-2 , pp 129-137
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Planetary Nebulae
- Stellar Evolution
- stars: individual(Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sgr))
- Don Pollacco (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. APS Division, Queen's University Belfast, Belfast, BT7 1NN, UK