N-dimensional Cell-DEVS Models
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article presents an extension to the timed binary Cell-DEVS paradigm. The goal is to allow the modeling of n-dimensional generic cell spaces, including transport or inertial delays for each cell. The automatic definition of cell spaces is achieved, simplifying the construction of new models. The model definition is independent of the simulation mechanism, easing the verification of the structural models. It was shown that the Cell-DEVS models can be integrated in a DEVS hierarchy, improving the definition and description of complex systems. This approach allows improvements in the execution times and precision for the cell spaces simulations due to the use of a continuous time base.
- Chow, A., and Zeigler, B. 1994. Abstract simulator for the parallel DEVS formalism. Proceedings of the Winter Simulation Conference.
- Ghosh, S., and Giambiasi, N. 1996. On the need for consistency between the VHDL language constructions and the underlying hardware design. Proceedings of the 8th European Simulation Symposium. Genoa, Italy, Vol. I. pp. 562–567.
- Giambiasi, N., and Miara, A. 1976. SILOG: A practical tool for digital logic circuit simulation. Proceedings of the 16th. D.A.C., San Diego, U.S.A.
- Moon, Y., Zeigler, B., Ball, G., and Guertin, D. P. 1996. DEVS representation of spatially distributed systems: validity, complexity reduction. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, pp. 288–296.
- Rodriguez, D., and Wainer, G. 1999. New extensions to the CD++ tool. Proceedings of SCS Summer Multiconference on Computer Simulation, Chicago, U.S.A.
- Toffoli, T., and Margolus, N. 1987. Cellular Automata Machines. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
- Troccoli, A., and Wainer, G. 2001. Performance analysis of cellular models with Parallel Cell-DEVS. Accepted for publication in Proceedings of 35th Summer Computer Simulation Conference, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
- Wainer, G. June 2000. Improved cellular models with parallel Cell-DEVS. In Transactions of the SCS.
- Wainer, G., and Giambiasi, N. 2001. Timed Cell-DEVS: modeling and simulation of cell spaces. In Discrete Event Modeling & Simulation: Enabling Future Technologies, to be published by Springer-Verlag.
- Wainer, G., and Giambiasi, N. January 2001. Application of the Cell-DEVS paradigm for cell spaces modeling and simulation. Simulation.
- Wainer, G., and Zeigler, B. 2000. Experimental results of timed Cell-DEVS quantization. In Proceedings of AIS'2000. Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
- Wolfram, S. 1986. Theory and applications of cellular automata. Vol. 1, Advances Series on Complex Systems. World Scientific, Singapore.
- Zeigler, B. 1976. Theory of modeling and simulation. Wiley.
- Zeigler, B. 1984. Multifaceted Modeling and discrete event simulation. Academic Press.
- Zeigler, B. 1990. Object-oriented simulation with hierarchical modular models. Academic Press.
- Zeigler, B., Cho, H., Lee, J., and Sarjoughian, H. 1998. The DEVS/HLA distributed simulation environment and its support for predictive filtering. DARPA Contract N6133997K-0007: ECE Dept., UA, Tucson, AZ.
- Zeigler, B., Kim, T., and Praehofer, H. 2000. Theory of Modeling and Simulation: Integrating Discrete Event and Continuous Complex Dynamic Systems. Academic Press.
- N-dimensional Cell-DEVS Models
Discrete Event Dynamic Systems
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 135-157
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- DEVS models
- modeling paradigms
- cellular automata
- discrete event simulation
- cell-DEVS models
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Systems and Computer Engineering, Carleton University, 4456 Mackenzie Building, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6, Canada
- 2. DIAM-IUSPIM, Université d'Aix-Marseille III, Av. Escadrille Normandie Niemen, 13397, Marseilles, Cédex 20, France