Formation of biogenic amines as criteria for the selection of wine yeasts
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This work deals with biogenic amine production by yeast strains isolated from grapes and wines. A total of 50 strains were tested for their capacity to produce biogenic amines in wine. In general, all the species produced very low or non-detectable amounts of histamine, whereas methylamine and agmatine were formed by all the species considered. The highest concentration of total biogenic amines was formed by Brettanomyces bruxellensis, with an average value of 15 mg/l, followed by Saccharomyces cerevisiae with an average of 12.14 mg/l. The other species formed less than 10 mg of total biogenic amines per litre. Wines fermented with the most fermentative strains of S. cerevisiae species had the highest contents of ethanolamine, from 2.3 to 16 mg/l, and of agmatine, from 3.1 to 7.5 mg/l. The strains of the other species, which exhibited a low fermentative ability, Kloeckera apiculata, B. bruxellensis and Metschnikowia pulcherrima, varied in the production of agmatine and phenylethylamine. A significant variability in the production of cadaverine was characteristic of Candida stellata strains, which varied also in ethanolamine production. Our results emphasize the importance of using selected strains of S. cerevisiae, not only for the expression of desirable technological traits, but also to avoid potentially negative effects on human health. Therefore, the characterization of strains of S. cerevisiae for the 'production of biogenic amines' becomes of applicative interest.
- Bauza, T., Blaise, A., Teissedre, L., Mestres, J., Daumas, F. & Cabanis, J. 1995 Evolution des teneurs en amines biogè nes des moûts et des vins au cours de la vinification. Sciences des Aliments 15, 559–570.
- Bauza, T. & Teissedre, P.L. 1995 Les amines biogénes du vin. Mé tabolisme et toxicité. Bulletin de l'Office International du Vin 68, 42–67.
- Buteau, C., Duitschaver, C.L. & Ashton, G.C. 1984 A study of biogenesis of amines in a Villard noir wine. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 35, 228–236.
- Davis, C.R., Wibowo, D., Eschenbruch R., Lee, T.H. & Fleet, G.H. 1985 Practical implications of malolactic fermentation: a review. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 36, 290–301.
- Fleet, G.H. 1992 Spoilage yeasts. CRC Critical Reviews of Biotechnology 12, 1–44.
- Galgano, F., Suzzi, G., Favati, F., Caruso, M., Martuscelli, M. & Salzano, G. 2001 Biogenic amines during ripening in 'semicotto Caprino' cheese: role of enterococci. International Journal of Food Science and Biotechnology 36, 153–160.
- Halász, A., Baráth, A., Simon-Sarkadi, L.S. & Holzapfel, W. 1994 Biogenic amines and their production by microorganisms in food. Trends in Food Science and Technology 3, 42–49.
- Heresztyn, T. 1986 Metabolism of volatile phenolic compounds from hydroxycinnamic acids by Brettanomyces yeast. Archives of Microbiology 146, 96–98.
- Hernandezjover, T., Izquierdo-Pulido, M., Veciananogues, M.T., Marinè-Font, A. & Vidal-Carou, M.C. 1997 Biogenic amines and polyamine contents in meat and meat products. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 45, 2098–2102.
- Iñiguez Crespo, M. & Varquez Lasa, B. 1994 Determination of biogenic amines and other amines in wine by an optimized HPLC method with polarity gradient elution. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 35, 460–463.
- Izquierdo-Pulido, M., Font-Fábregas, J. & Vidal-Carou, C. 1995 Influence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. uvarum on histamine and tyramine fornmation during beer fermentation. Food Chemistry 54, 51–54.
- Izquierdo-Pulido, M., Marinè-Font, A. & Vidal-Carou, M.C. 2000 Effect of tyrosine on tyramine formation during beer fermentation. Food Chemistry 70, 329–332.
- Jarisch, R. & Wantke, F. 1996 Wine and headache. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 110, 7–12.
- Lehtonen, P., Saarimen, M., Vesanto, M. & Riekkola, M.L. 1992 Determination of wine amines by HPLC using automated precolumn derivatisation with o-phthaldehyde and fluorescence detection. Zeitschrift für Lebensmittel Untersuchung und Forschung 194, 434–437.
- Loureiro, V. & Querol, A. 1999 The prevalence and control of spoilage yeasts in foods and beverages. Trends in Food Science & Technology 10, 356–365.
- Lovaas, E. 1991 Antioxidative effects of poliamines. Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 68, 353–358.
- Maynard, L.S. & Schenker, V.J. 1962 Monoamine-oxidase inhibition by ethanol in vitro. Nature 196, 575–576.
- Pogorzelski, E. 1992 Studies of the formation of histamine in must and wines from elderberry fruit. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 60, 239–244.
- Rawles, D.D. & Flick, G.I. 1996 Biogenic amines in fish and shellfish. Advances in Food and Nutrition Research 39, 329–365.
- Simon-Sarkadi, L. & Holzapfel, W.H. 1994 Determination of biogenic amines in leafy vegetables by aminoacid analyser. Zeitschrift für Lebensmittel Untersuchung und Forschung 198, 230–233.
- Soufleros, E., Barrios, M.E. & Bertrand, A. 1998 Correlation between the content of biogenic amines and other wine compounds. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture 49, 266–278.
- Sponholz, W.-R. 1993 Wine spoilage by microorganisms. In Wine Microbiology and Biotechnology, ed. Fleet, G.H., pp. 395–420. New York & London: Gordon & Breach Sci. Publ. Pty Ltd. ISBN 3-7186-5132-7.
- Stratton, J.E., Hutkins, R.W. & Taylor, S.L. 1991 Biogenic amines in cheese and other fermented foods: a review. Journal of Food Protection 54, 460–470.
- Straub, B.W., Kicherer, M., Schilcher, S.M. & Hammes, W. 1995 The formation of biogenic amines by fermentation organisms. Zeitschrift für Lebensmittel Untersuchung und Forschung 201, 79–82.
- Wantke, F., Hemmer, W., Haglmuller, T., Gotz, M. & Jarisch, R. 1996 Histamine in wine. Bronchoconstriction after a double blind placebo-controlled red wine provocation test. International Archives of Allergy and Immunology 110, 397–400.
- Formation of biogenic amines as criteria for the selection of wine yeasts
World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Volume 18, Issue 2 , pp 159-163
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Biogenic amines
- Brettanomyces bruxellensis
- Candida stellata
- Kloeckera apiculata
- Metschnikowia pulcherrima
- Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Biologia, Difesa, Biotecnologie, Agro-Forestali, Università degli Studi della Basilicata, Campus Macchia Romana, 85100, Potenza, Italy
- 2. Dipartimento di Chimica, Università della Basilicata, Potenza, Italy
- 3. Facoltà di Agraria, Università di Teramo, Mosciano Stazione (Teramo), Italy