Effects of Glia Maturation Factor Overexpression in Primary Astrocytes on MAP Kinase Activation, Transcription Factor Activation, and Neurotrophin Secretion
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Using the replication-defective adenovirus vector, we overexpressed rat glia maturation factor (GMF) in primary astrocyte cultures derived from embryonic rat brains. Among the three isoforms of MAP kinase, there was a big increase in the phosphorylation of p38, as detected with Western blotting using the phosphospecific antibody. Likewise, there was a substantial increase in the phosphorylation of the transcription factor CREB. Using the electrophoretic mobility shift assay (EMSA), we found a stimulation in the transcription factor NF-κB. The activations of CREB and NF-κB were blocked by inhibitors of either p38 (SB-203580) or MEK (PD-098059), suggesting that they were events downstream of MAK kinase. There was an increased secretion of BDNF and NGF into the conditioned medium, along with an increase in their messenger RNA. The inductions of BDNF and NGF were also blocked by inhibitors of p38 and MEK, as well as by the inhibition of NF-κB with a decoy DNA sequence. Taken together, the results suggest that GMF functions intracellularly in astrocytes as a modulator of MAP kinase signal transduction, leading to a series of downstream events including CREB and NF-κB activation, resulting in the induction and secretion of the neurotrophins.
- Lim, R., Miller, J. F., and Zaheer, A. 1989. Purification and characterization of gliamaturation factor beta: a growth regulator for neurons and glia. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:3901–3905.
- Lim, R., Zaheer, A., and Lane, W. S. 1990. Complete amino acid sequence of bovine glia maturation factor beta. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87:5233–5237.
- Kaplan, R., Zaheer, A., Jaye, M., and Lim, R. 1991. Molecular cloning and expression of biologically active human glia maturation factor beta. J. Neurochem. 57:483–490.
- International Human Genome Sequencing Consortium 2001. Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome. Nature 409:860–921.
- Wang, B. R., Zaheer, A., and Lim, R. 1992. Polyclonal antibody localizes glia maturation factor beta-like immunoreactivity in neurons and glia. Brain Res. 591:1–7.
- Lim, R. and Zaheer, A. 1995. Phorbol ester stimulates rapid intracellular phosphorylation of glia maturation factor. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 211:928–934.
- Zaheer, A. and Lim, R. 1996. In vitro inhibition of MAP kinase (ERK1/ERK2) activity by phosphorylated glia maturation factor (GMF). Biochemistry 35:6283–6288.
- Lim, R. and Zaheer, A. 1996. In vitro enhancement of p38 MAP kinase activity by phosphorylated glia maturation factor (GMF). J. Biol. Chem. 271:22953–22956.
- Lim, R., Zaheer, A., Kraakevik, J. A., Darby, C. J., and Oberley, L. W. 1998. Overexpression of glia maturation factor in C6 cells promotes differentiation and activates superoxide dismutase. Neurochem. Res. 23:1445–1451.
- Lim, R., Zaheer, A., Yorek, M. A., Darby, C. J., and Oberly, L. W. 2000. Activation of NF-κB in C6 rat glioma cells after transfection with glia maturation factor (GMF). J. Neurochem. 74:596–602.
- Zaheer, A., Weiss, J. L., Goyal, P., and Lim, R. 1999. Enhanced expression of neurotrophic factors by C6 rat glioma cells after transfection with glia maturation factor. Neurosci. Lett. 265:203–206.
- Pantazis, N. J., Zaheer, A., Dai, D., Zaheer, S., Green, S. H., Lim, R. 2000. Transfection of C6 glioma cells with glia maturation factor upregulates BDNF and NGF: trophic effects and protection against ethanol toxicity in cerebellar granule cells. Brain Res. 865:59–76.
- Zaheer, A. and Lim, R. 1998. Overexpression of glia maturation factor (GMF) in PC12 pheochromocytoma cells activates p38 MAP kinase, MAPKAP kinase-2, and tyrosine hydroxylase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 250:278–282.
- Davidson, B. L., Allen, E. D., Kozarsky, K. F., Wilson, J. M., and Roessler, B. J. 1993. Amodel system for in vivo gene transfer into the central nervous system using an adenoviral vector. Nature Genetics 3:219–223.
- Zaheer, A., Fink, B. D., and Lim, R. 1993. Expression of glia maturation factor beta mRNA and protein in rat organs and cells. J. Neurochem. 60:914–920.
- Lim, R. and Bosch, E. P. 1990. Preparation of astrocytes and Schwann cells. Methods Neurosci. 2:47–56.
- Mattson, M. P., Goodman, Y., Luo, H., Fu, W., and Furukawa, K. 1997. Activation of NF-κB protects hippocampal neurons against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis: evidence for induction of manganese superoxide dismutase and suppression of peroxynitrite production and protein tyrosine nitration. J. Neuroscience Res. 49:681–697.
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680–685.
- Towbin, H., Staehelin, T., and Gorodon, J. 1979. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 77:5201–5205.
- Yorek, M. A., Dunlap, J. A., Thomas, M. J., Cammarata, P. R., Zhou, C., and Lowe, W. L. Jr. Effect of TNF-alpha on SMIT mRNA levels and myo-inosital accumulation in cultured endothelial cells. Am. J. Physiol. 274:C58–C71.
- Zaheer, A., Zhong, W., Uc, E. Y., Moser, D. R., and Lim, R. 1995. Expression of mRNAs of multiple groeth factors and receptors by astrocytes and glioma cells: detection with reversetranscription-polymerase chain reaction. Cell. Mol. Neurobiology 15:221–237.
- Zaheer, A., Zhong, W., and Lim, R. 1995. Expression of mRNAs of multiple growth factors and receptors by neuronal cell lines: detection with RT-PCR. Neurochem. Res. 20:1457–1463.
- Chomczynski, P. and Sacchi, N. 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162:156–159.
- Ward, S. G., Parry, R. V., Matthews, J., and O'Neill, L. 1997. A p38 MAP kinase inhibitor SB203580 inhibits CD28-dependent T cell proliferation and IL-2 production. Biochemical Society Transactions 25:304S.
- Pang, L., Sawada, T., Decker, S. J., and Saltiel, A. R. 1995. Inhibition of MAP kinase kinase blocks the differentiation of PC-12 cells induced by nerve growth factor. J. Biol. Chem. 270:13585–13588.
- Xing, J., Kornhauser, J. M., Xia, Z., Thiele, E. A., and Greenberg, M. E. 1998. Nerve growth factor activates extracellular signal-regulated kinase and p38 mitogen-activate protein kinase pathways to stimulate CREB serine 133 phosphorylation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 18:1946–1955.
- Friedman, W. J., Thakur, S., Seidman, L., and Rabson, A. B. 1996. Regulation of nerve growth factor mRNA by interleukin-1 in rat hippocampal astrocytes is mediated by NF-kappa B. J. Biol. Chem. 271:31115–31120.
- Heese, K., Hock, C., and Otten, U. 1998. Inflammatory signals induce neurotrophin expression in human microglial cells. J. Neurochem. 70:699–707.
- Tao, X., Finkbeiner, S., Arnold, D. B., Shaywitz, A. J., and Greenberg, M. E. 1998. Ca2+ influx regulates BDNF transcription by a CREB family transcription factor-dependent mechanism. Neuron 20:709–726.
- Effects of Glia Maturation Factor Overexpression in Primary Astrocytes on MAP Kinase Activation, Transcription Factor Activation, and Neurotrophin Secretion
Volume 26, Issue 12 , pp 1293-1299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- signal transduction
- transcription factors
- stress-activated response
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Neurology (Division of Neurochemistry and Neurobiology), Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, 52242
- 2. Department of Internal Medicine (Diabetes-Endocrinology Research Center), Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA, 52242