Foliar Nitrogen as an Indicator of Nitrogen Deposition and Critical Loads Exceedance on a European Scale
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The foliar N content of bryophytes and Calluna vulgaris (L.) has been shown to be an indicator of atmospheric N deposition in the UK at a regional scale (1000km) and more recently on a smaller scale in the vicinity of intensive livestock farms. This work extends the geographical scale of the relationship between foliar N concentration of Calluna vulgaris and other ericaceous shrubs and N deposition with 2 measurement transects, one extending from northern Finland to southern Norway (2000 km) and the other extending from central Sweden to Stockholm, south east Sweden (330 km). Included in the second transect is a region of complex terrain in the Transtrand uplands, where the variation in N deposition with altitude and canopy cover was quantified using 210Pb inventories in organic soil. The relationship between foliar N (FN) and N deposition was shown to increase linearly with N deposition (ND) over the range 0.8% N to 1.4% N according to FN = 0.040ND + 0.793 (r2 = 0.70). The data are entirely consistent with earlier studies which together provide a valuable indicator of critical loads exceedance, the threshold value being approximately 1.5% N, which is equivalent to a N deposition of 20 kg N ha−1 y−1.
- Allan, S.E. ed.: 1989, Chemical Analysis of Ecological Materials. Blackwell Scientific, Oxford.
- Bobbink, & Roelofs, J.: 1996, Water, Air & Soil Pollution 85, 2413.
- Brunsting, A.M.H. & Heil, G.W.: 1985, Oikos 44, 23.
- EMEP: 1999, Transboundary Acid Deposition in Europe. Summary Report (L. Tarrason & J Schaug eds.) Norwegian Meteorological Institute Report 83.
- van der Eerden, L.J., de Vries, W., de Visser, P.H.B., van Dobben, H.F., Steingrover, E.G., Dueck, T.A., van Grinsen, J.J.M., Mohren, G.M.J., Boxman, A.W., Roelofs, J.G.M. & Graveland, J.; 1997, Effects on forest ecosystems. In:.J. Heij & J.W. Erisman (eds) Acid Deposition and its Effects on Terrestrial Ecosystems in the Netherlands, 83–128. Elsevier Science
- Fowler, D., Smith, R.I., Leith, I.D., Crossley, A., Mourne, R., Brandford, D. & Moghaddam, M.: 1998, Water Air and Soil Pollution 105, 459.
- Hicks, W.K., Leith, I.D., Woodin, S.J. & Fowler, D.: 2000, Environmental Pollution 107, 367.
- Iason, G.R. & Hester, A.J.: 1993, Journal of Ecology 81, 75–80.
- Karlsson, P.S.: 1987, Holartic Ecology 10, 114–119.
- Moghaddam, M.: 1998, Study of Surface Roughness Effects on Deposition of Atmospheric Aerosol using 210Pb Inventories. PhD Thesis, University of Edinburgh.
- Pitcairn, C.E.R., Fowler, D. & Grace, J.: 1991, Changes in species composition of semi-natural vegetation associated with the increase in atmospheric inputs of nitrogen. Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Edinburgh, UK 80 pp
- Pitcairn, C.E.R., Fowler, D. & Grace, J.: 1995, Environmental Pollution 88, 193–205
- Pitcairn, C.E.R., Leith, I.D., Sheppard, L.J., Sutton, M.A., Fowler, D., Munro, R.C., Tang, S. & Wilson, D.: 1998, Environmental Pollution 102(S1), 41–48.
- Poikolainen, J., Lippo, H., Honigisto, Kubin, E., Mikkola, K., Lindgren, M.: 1998, Environmental Pollution 102(S1), 85.
- Robertson, R.A. & Davies, G.E.: 1965, Journal of Applied Ecology 2, 249.
- Sutton, M.A., Pitcairn, C.E.R. & Fowler, D.: 1993, Advances in Ecological Research 24, 301
- Foliar Nitrogen as an Indicator of Nitrogen Deposition and Critical Loads Exceedance on a European Scale
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 130, Issue 1-4 , pp 1037-1042
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- foliar N
- N deposition
- Calluna vulgaris
- critical load exceedance
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Ecology (Edinburgh), Bush Estate, Penicuik, Midlothian, EH26 0QB, UK
- 2. Centre for Ecology (Merlewood) Grange-over-Sands, Cumbria, LA11 6JU, UK
- 3. Department of Meteorology, Stockholm University, S-106 91, Stockholm, Sweden