The Chemical Effects of Deicing Salt on Soil and Stream Water of Five Catchments in Southeast Sweden
- Stefan Löfgren
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The chemical effects of road-deicing salt on soil and water were studied in five small, forested catchments in southeast Sweden. The use of deicing salt on roads applied during the winter season 1998/99 had a profound effect on the soil and stream water chemistry in the studied catchments. The salt applications caused increased salinity in direct proportion to the accumulated amounts. The added salt also induced ion exchange in the soils between Na and primarily Ca and Mg. In some of the catchments, ion exchange increased the mobility of H+ ions and trace metals such as Zn and Cd, reducing alkalinity and increasing the Zn and Cd concentrations in the streams.
- Amrhein, C. and Strong, J.E.:1990, J. Environ. Qual. 19, 765.
- Blomqvist, G.:1999, Air-borne transport of de-icing salt and damage to pine and spruce trees in a roadside environment. Licentiate Thesis, KTH, ISBN 91–7170–475–2.
- Hindar, A., Henriksen, A., Kaste, Ø. and Tørseth, K.:1995, Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 85, 547.
- Howard, K.W.F. and Hynes, P.J.:1993, Urban geology 3. Geoscience Canada Volume 20No. 1.
- Köhler, S.:1999, Quatifying the role of natural organic acids on pH and buffering in Swedish surface waters. Ph.D thesis, SLU, Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae, Silvestria 92.
- Köhler, S., Laudon, H., Wilander, A. and Bishop, K.:2000, Wat. Res. 34, 1425.
- Olofsson, B.:1997, Grundvatten 2/97, 14–17 (in Swedish).
- Olofsson, B., and Sandström, S.:1998, In Deicing and dustbinding — risk to aquifers, Nystén, T. and Suokko, T., Eds., NHP Report No 43, pp 75–81.
- Shanley, J.B.:1994. J. Environ. Qual. 23, 977.
- The Chemical Effects of Deicing Salt on Soil and Stream Water of Five Catchments in Southeast Sweden
Water, Air, and Soil Pollution
Volume 130, Issue 1-4 , pp 863-868
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- deicing salt
- road salt
- ion exchange
- stream water
- Industry Sectors
- Stefan Löfgren (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Environmental Assessment, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, P.O. Box 7050, S-750 07, Uppsala, Sweden