Site-Specific Durum Wheat Quality and Its Relationship to Soil Properties in a Single Field in Northern New South Wales
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The use of Precision Agriculture techniques to investigate agronomically significant soil factors and their relationship to wheat quality on a site-specific basis, was conducted during the winter 1996 wheat season in response to the growing concerns associated with wheat quality in Australia. A field of durum wheat was selected in Northern New South Wales, in which wheat and soil samples were taken from sites located within the field with the help of a Global Positioning System (GPS).
Geostatistical methods were used to interpolate the data and produce maps of the field representing the spatial variability of all the soil and wheat properties. With the aid of these maps and empirical modeling techniques, relationships between the wheat and soil factors were determined.
Areas within the field with lower soil profile available water capacities, caused by a combination of coarser soil texture and lower organic carbon content, probably contributed to water stress during grain-fill, which interacted with soil nitrogen to give higher protein levels. These areas of the field had lower yields and smaller 1000-kernel weights. Protein quality was found not to be compromised by increasing protein concentrations which resulted from water stress.
The benefits of using precision agriculture techniques as a method for segregating wheat by protein at harvest to increase profits are described.
- Birrell, S. J., Borgelt, S. C. and Sudduth, K. A. 1995. Crop yield mapping: comparison of yield monitors and mapping techniques. In: Proceedings of Soil-Specific Crop Management: Site-Specific Management for Agricultural Systems, edited by P. C. Robert, R. H. Rust and W. E. Larson (American Society of Agronomy, Madison), p. 15–32.
- Day, P. R. 1956. Report of the committee on physical analyses, 1954–1955. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings 35, 54–60.
- Dexter, J. E. and Matsuo, R. R. 1980. Relationship between durum wheat protein properties and pasta dough rheology and spaghetti cooking quality. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 26, 899–906.
- Dexter, J. E., Matsou, R. R. and Martin, D. G. 1987. The relationship of durum wheat test weight to milling performance and spaghetti quality. American Association of Cereal Chemists 32, 772–777.
- Entz, M. H. and Fowler, D. B. 1988. Critical stress periods affecting productivity of no-till winter wheat in Western Canada. Agronomy Journal 80, 987–992.
- Fiez, T. E., Miller, B. C. and Pan, W. L. 1994. Winter wheat yield and grain protein across varied landscape positions. Agronomy Journal 86, 1026–1032.
- Gardner, W. H. 1986. Water content. In: Methods of Soil Analysis: Part 1—Physical and Mineralogical Methods (Soil Science Society of America, Madison).
- Holford, I. C. R., Doyle, A. D. and Leckie, C. C. 1992. Nitrogen response characteristics of wheat protein in relation to yield responses and their interactions with phosphorus. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 43, 969–986. CrossRef
- Incerti, M. and O'Leary, G. J. 1990. Rooting depth of wheat in the Victorian Mallee. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 30, 817–824.
- Lindsay, M. P. and Skerritt, J. H. 1998. Examination of the structure of the glutenin macropolymer in wheat flour and doughs by stepwise reduction. Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry 46, 3447–3457. CrossRef
- Loffler, C. M. and Busch, R. H. 1982. Crop Science 22, 591.
- Loffler, C. M., Rauch, T. L. and Busch, R. H. 1985. Crop Science 25, 521.
- Long, D. S., Engel, R. E. and Reep, P. 1999. Grain protein sensing to identify nitrogen management zones in spring wheat. Site-Specific Management Guide, No. 24 (Potash and Phosphate Institute).
- Matsuo, R. R. 1988. Evaluation of durum wheat, semolina and pasta in Canada. In: Wheat Chemistry and Technology, edited by Y. Pomeranz (American Association of Cereal Chemists, Incorporated), p. 249–261.
- McDonald, G. K. 1992. Effects of nitrogenous fertilizer on the growth, grain yield and grain protein concentration of wheat. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 43, 949–967. CrossRef
- Mian, M. A. R., Nafziger, E. D., Kolb, F. L. and Teyker, R. H. 1994. Root size and distribution of field-grown wheat genotypes. Crop Science 34, 810–812.
- Miller, M. P., Singer, M. J. and Nielsen, D. J. 1988. Spatial variability of wheat yield and soil properties on complex hills. Soil Science Society of America Journal 52, 1133–1141.
- Moore, I. D., Gessler, P. E., Nielson, G. A. and Peterson, G. A. 1993. Terrain analysis for soil specific crop management. In: Proceedings of Soil-Specific Crop Management: A Workshop on Research and Issues, edited by P. C. Robert, R. H. Rust and W. E. Larson (American Society of Agronomy, Madison), p. 27–55.
- Mulla, D. J., Bhatti, A. U., Hammond, M. W. and Benson, J. A. 1992. A comparison of winter wheat yield and quality under uniform versus spatially variable fertiliser management. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment 38, 301–311. CrossRef
- Mulla, D. J. 1993. Mapping and managing spatial patterns in soil fertility and crop yield. In: Proceedings of Soil-Specific Crop Management: A Workshop on Research and Issues, edited by P. C. Robert, R. H. Rust and W. E. Larson (American Society of Agronomy, Madison), p. 15–26.
- Noaman, M. M., Taylor, G. A. and Martin, J. M. 1990. Indirect selection for grain protein and grain yield in winter wheat. Euphytica 47, 121–130.
- Osborne, B. G., Kotwal, Z., Blakeney, A. B., O'Brien, L., Shah, S. and Fearn, T. 1997. Application of the single-kernel characterization system to wheat receiving testing and quality prediction. Cereal Chemistry 74, 467–470.
- Pena, R. J., Amaya, A., Rajaram, S. and Mujeeb-Kazi, A. 1990. Variation quality characteristics associated with some spring 1B/1R translocation wheats. Journal of Cereal Science 12, 105–112.
- Rayment, G. E. and Higginson, F. R. 1992. Australian Handbook of Soil and Water Chemical Methods (Inkata Press, Melbourne).
- Schnug, E., Murphy, D., Evans, E., Haneklaus, S. and Lamp, J. 1993. Yield mapping and application of yield maps to computer-aided resource management. In: Proceedings of Soil-Specific Crop Management: A Workshop on Research and Issues, edited by P. C. Robert, R. H. Rust and W. E. Larson (American Society of Agronomy, Madison), p. 87–93.
- Shatar, T. M. and McBratney, A. B. 1999. Empirical modeling of relationships between sorghum yield and soil properties. Precision Agriculture 1, 249–276. CrossRef
- Simmonds, D. H. 1989. Wheat and Wheat Quality in Australia (CSIRO, William Brooks Queensland).
- Simmonds, N. W. 1995. Yields of cereal grain and protein. Experimental Agriculture 32, 351–356.
- Smith, P. K., Krohn, R. I., Hermanson, G. T., Mallia, A. K., Gartner, F. H., Provenzano, M. D., Fujimoto, E. K., Goeke, N. M., Olson, B. J. and Klenk, D. C. 1985. Measurement of protein using bicinchoninic acid. Analytical Biochemistry 150, 76–85. CrossRef
- Soil Survey Staff. 1998. Keys to Soil Taxonomy, 8th ed. (United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Services).
- Venables, W. N. and Ripley, B. D. 1994. Modern Applied Statistics with S-Plus (Springer-Verlag, New York).
- Verrell, A. G. and O'Brien, L. 1996. Wheat protein trends in Northern and Central NSW, 1958 to 1993. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 47, 335–354. CrossRef
- Wang, C., Nolin, M. C. and Wu, J. 1995. Microrelief and spatial variability of some selected soil properties on an agricultural benchmark site in Quebec, Canada. In: Proceedings of Soil-Specific Crop Management: Site-Specific Management for Agricultural Systems, edited by P. C. Robert, R. H. Rust and W. E. Larson (American Society of Agronomy, Madison), p. 339–350.
- Webster, R. and Oliver, M. A. 1990. Statistical Methods in Soil and Land Resource Survey (Oxford University Press, New York).
- Woodward, H. J. and Bly, A. 1998. Relationship of nitrogen management to winter wheat yield and grain protein in South Dakota. Journal of Plant Nutrition 21, 217–233.
- Site-Specific Durum Wheat Quality and Its Relationship to Soil Properties in a Single Field in Northern New South Wales
Volume 3, Issue 2 , pp 155-168
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- protein variation
- durum wheat quality
- soil mapping
- wheat grain attribute mapping
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Australian Centre for Precision Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science, University of Sydney, 3rd Floor, McMillan Building A05, NSW, 2006
- 2. Australian Centre for Precision Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science, University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
- 3. CSIRO Plant Industry, Quality Wheat CRC LTD, North Ryde NSW 1670, Canberra, ACT 2601