Spin Transport in Very Dilute 3He-4He at Very High B/T
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report preliminary results for pulsed-NMR measurements on a very dilute 3 He- 4 He mixture (x 3 =900 ppm) in a 14.74 T field at temperatures down to 3 mK. The aim of the project is to investigate low temperature transverse spin relaxation and possible spin diffusion anisotropy. Spin-echo and T1-type measurements were employed to measure the transverse and longitudinal spin diffusion coefficients. At high temperatures both spin diffusion coefficients are well explained assuming a quasiparticle interaction consistent with previous experiments. Conversely, at low temperatures the measured value of |λωτ⊥| is apparently limited to about ten by a poorly-understood process that accelerates spin-echo decay. This hampers an accurate determination of the transverse diffusion coefficient at the lowest temperatures reached.
- A. E. Meyerovich, Phys. Lett. 107A, 177 (1985); A. E. Meyerovich and K. A. Musaelian, J. Low Temp. Phys. 95, 789 (1994), and references therein.
- J. W. Jeon and W. J. Mullin, J. Phys. (Paris), 49, 1691 (1988); W. J. Mullin and J. W. Jeon, J. Low Temp. Phys., 88, 433 (1992).
- I. A. Fomin, JETP Letters, 65, 749 (1997).
- J. H. Ager et al., J. Low Temp. Phys. 99, 683 (1995).
- J. R. Owers-Bradley et al., J. Low Temp. Phys. 121, 779 (2000)
- L.-J. Wei, N. Kalechofsky, and D. Candela, Phys. Rev. Lett., 71, 879 (1993).
- D. Candela, H. Akimoto, R. M. Bowley, O. Buu, D. Clubb and J. R. Owers-Bradley, J. Low Temp. Phys. 121, 767 (2000)
- G. Vermeulen and A. Roni, Phys. Rev. Lett., 86, 248 (2000).
- C. Lhuillier and F. Laloë, J.Phys. 43 197, (1982); 43 225, (1982).
- A. J. Leggett, J. Phys. C3 448, (1970).
- H. Akimoto, and D. Candela, J. Low Temp. Phys. 121, 791 (2000).
- H. Akimoto et al., Physica B, 284–288, 313 (2000).
- Spin Transport in Very Dilute 3He-4He at Very High B/T
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 126, Issue 1-2 , pp 109-114
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Microkelvin Laboratory, NHMFL and Physics Department, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 32611, USA
- 2. Hasbrouck Laboratory, Department of Physics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA, 01003, USA