Influence of Supercooling Level on Kinetics of Phase Separation in Solid Mixtures of 4He in 3He
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied the kinetics of phase separation in the solid mixture of 4 He in 3 He at various supercooling in the temperature range of 100–200 mK through precise pressure measurements. The time dependences of the pressure change during phase separation were exponential. At small supercooling the characteristic time constant τ is almost independent of the final temperature Tf and is about 10 hours, which is considered to result from heterogeneous nucleation. In a narrow range of Tf τ decreases more than an order of magnitude. At larger supercooling τ is independent of Tf again. This behaviour agrees qualitatively with the theoretical consideration of the phase separation kinetics at homogeneous nucleation taking into account the finiteness of a cooling rate. The value of interphase surface tension has been obtained from comparison of the theory with the experimental results.
- S. Balibar, T. Misusaki, Y. Sasaki, J. Low Temp. Phys. 120, 293 (2000).
- A. Ganshin, V. Grigorev, V. Maidanov, N. Omelaenko, A. Penzev, E. Rudavskii, A. Rybalko, J. Low Temp. Phys. 116, 349 (1999).
- A.N. Ganshin et al., Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 25, 796 (1999) [Low Temp. Phys. 25, 592 (1999)].
- A.N. Ganshin, V.N. Grigor'ev, V.A. Maidanov, A.A. Penzev, E.Ya. Rudavskii, A.S. Rybalko, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 26, 550 (2000) [Low Temp. Phys. 26, 401 (2000)].
- V. Volmer, Kinetik der Phasenbildung, Th. Steinkopf, Dresden (1939).
- V.V. Slezov, J. Schmelzer, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 39, 2210 (1997) [Phys. Solid State 39, 1971 (1997)].
- V. Maidanov, A. Ganshin, V. Grigor'ev, A. Penzev, E. Rudavskii, A. Rybalko, Ye. Syrnikov, J. Low Temp. Phys., these proceedings.
- Influence of Supercooling Level on Kinetics of Phase Separation in Solid Mixtures of 4He in 3He
Journal of Low Temperature Physics
Volume 126, Issue 1-2 , pp 151-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. B. Verkin Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 47 Lenin ave., Kharkov, 61103, Ukraine
- 2. National Science Center “Institute for Physics and Technology”, 1 Akdemicheskaya st., Kharkov, 61108, Ukraine