Photonic crystals for the visible range fabricated by autocloning technique and their application
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We fabricate photonic crystals for the visible range by the ‘autocloning’ technique, in which multilayers are stacked by an appropriate combination of sputter deposition and sputter etching. TiO2/SiO2 and Ta2O5/SiO2 are chosen as materials since they are transparent in the range and give a high contrast of refractive indices. The fabrication technique has flexibility regarding materials and size and is very reliable and reproducible even if the pitch is less than 0.2 μm. We also study the application of photonic crystals to birefringent elements such as waveplates and polarization selective gratings and experimentally verify that they are useful for optical pick-up systems.
- Aoyama, S. and T. Yamashita. Proc. SPIE 1545 241, 1991.
- Kawakami, S. Electron. Lett. 33 1260, 1997.
- Kawakami, S., T. Kawashima and T. Sato. Appl. Phys. Lett. 74 463, 1999.
- Kawashima, T., K. Miura, T. Sato and S. Kawakami. Appl. Phys. Lett. 77 2613, 2000.
- Kosaka, H., T. Kawashima, A. Tomita, M. Notomi, T. Tamamura, T. Sato and S. Kawakami. Phys. Rev. B 58 R10096, 1998.
- Ohba, A., Y. Kimura, S. Sugama, Y. Urino and Y. Ono. Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28(Suppl 28-3) 359, 1989.
- Ohtera, Y., T. Sato, T. Kawashima, T. Tamamura and S. Kawakami. Electron. Lett. 35 1271, 1999.
- Sato, T., K. Miura, Y. Ohtera, T. Kawashima and S. Kawakami. Trans. Instit Electr. Inform. Commun. Eng. J82-C-I 572, 1999.
- Xu, F., R. Tyan, P. Sun, Y. Fainman, C. Cheng and A. Scherer. Opt. Lett. 21 1513, 1996.
- Yablonovitch, E. J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 10 283, 1993.
- Photonic crystals for the visible range fabricated by autocloning technique and their application
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 34, Issue 1-3 , pp 63-70
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- photonic crystal
- polarization selective grating
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. New Industry Creation Hatchery Center, Tohoku University, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, Sendai, 980-8579, Japan
- 2. NTT Basic Research Laboratories, 3-1 Morinosato Wakamiya, Atsugi-shi Kanagawa Pref, 243-0198, Japan