Out-of-plane scattering in 1-D photonic crystal slabs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a detailed study of out-of-plane scattering losses in a 1D approximation of 2D photonic crystal slabs. In 2D photonic crystals with a waveguide structure in the third dimension, the periodic structure (in a lot of applications a 2D arrangement of holes etched through the core and cladding) will cause light to scatter out of the waveguide plane. We studied the out-of-plane scattering losses of these holes using a 2D approximation of this 3D structure, with etched slots instead of holes. Our simulation techniques included mode expansion with PML and FDTD. We will present the influence of the refractive index contrast between core and cladding of the layered structure. We show that the losses increase with higher index contrast between core and cladding, but that with very high index contrasts and under the right circumstances light can be coupled into lossless Bloch modes.
- Baba, T., N. Fukaya and J. Yonekura. Electron. Lett. 35 654, 1999.
- Bénisty, H., C. Weisbuch, D. Labilloy, M. Rattier, C.J.M. Smith, T.F. Krauss, R.M. De La Rue, R. Houdre, U. Oesterle, C. Jouanin and D. Cassagne. J. Lightwave. Technol. 17 2063, 1999.
- Bénisty, H., D. Labilloy, C. Weisbuch, C.J.M. Smith, T.F. Krauss, D. Cassagne, A. Béraud and C. Jouanin. Appl. Phys. Lett. 76 532, 2000.
- Bienstman, P., and R. Baets. Optical and Quantum Electronics 33 327, 2001.
- Charlton, M.D.B., G.J. Parker and M.E. Zoorob. J. Mat. Sci.-Mat. Electron 10 429, 1999.
- Chow, E., S.Y. Lin, S.G. Johnson, P.R. Villeneuve, J.D. Joannopoulos, J.R. Wendt, G.A. Vawter, W. Zubrzycki, H. Hou and A. Alleman. Nature 407 983, 2000.
- Johnson, S.G., S. Fan, P.R. Villeneuve, J.D. Joannopoulos and L.A. Kolodziejski. Phys. Rev. B 60 5751, 1999.
- Krauss, T.F. et al. Nature 383 699, 1996.
- Van den Berghe, S. Object-oriented electromagnetic simulations with the finite-difference-time-domain Method. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Information Technology, University of Ghent, 1999.
- Villeneuve, P.R., S. Fan, S.G. Johnson and J.D. Joannopoulos. IEE Proc. Optoelec 145 384, 1998.
- Out-of-plane scattering in 1-D photonic crystal slabs
Optical and Quantum Electronics
Volume 34, Issue 1-3 , pp 195-203
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- guided bloch mode
- out-of-plane scattering
- photonic crystals
- Industry Sectors