Corrosion and Interdiffusion in a Ni/Fe–Cr–Al Couple Used for the Anode Side of Multi-Layered Interconnector for SOFC Applications
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Under operating conditions in solid-oxide fuel cells (SOFC), metallic-interconnect plates form oxide scales (e.g., Cr2O3, Al2O3) on their surface, which have an electrically insulating effect and increase the contact resistance between the interconnect and the electrodes. In order to ensure high electrical conductivity between the electrodes and the interconnects, the formation of oxide scales on the interconnect surface must be prevented or minimized. The present work shows possibilities for improved contacts at the anodic side in solid-oxide fuel cells by plating an Fe–Cr–5.7Al interconnect with a Ni foil. Contact-resistance measurements and microscopic studies show the electrical behavior and corrosion of materials used at 800°C under an Ar/4 vol.% H2/3 vol.% H2O atmosphere. The results reveal that the interconnects coated with nickel exhibit low aging rates in the investigations performed and are thus suitable for use on the anode side.
- W. J. Quadakkers, T. Malkow, J. Pirón-Abellán, U. Flesch, V. Shemet, and L. Singheiser, in European Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Forum, IV, A. McEvoy, ed., Vol. 2, (2000), p. 827.
- O. Teller, W. A. Meulenberg, F. Tietz, E. Wessel, and W. J. Quadakkers, in Proceedings of 7th International Symposium Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC-VII), June 3–8, 2001-16, Tsukuba, Japan, H. Yokokawa and S. C. Singhal, eds. (2001), pp. 895-903.
- P. Y. Hou, K. Huang, and W. T. Bakker, in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC-VI), Proceedings 99–19, S. C. Singhal and M. Dokiya, eds. (1999), pp. 737-748.
- C. Gindorf, L. Singheiser, and K. Hilpert, in Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC-VI), Proceedings 99–19, S. C. Singhal and M. Dokiya, eds. (1999), pp. 774-782.
- G. C. Fryburg, F. J. Kohl, and C. A. Stearns, J. Electrochem. Soc. 121, 952 (1974).
- B. B. Ebbinghaus, Combustion Flame 93, 119–137 (1993).
- K. Hilpert, D. Das, M. Miller, D. H. Peck, and R. Weiss, J. Electrochem. Soc. 143, 11 (1996).
- W. A. Meulenberg, H. P. Buchkremer, O. Teller, and D. Stöver, Proceedings of the Symposium C1: Fuel Cells and Renewable Energy Systems (2000), Paper 674, Materials Week 2000, Munich, September 25–28, in press.
- W. A. Meulenberg, O. Teller, U. Flesch, H. P. Buchkremer, and D. Stöver, J. Mater. Sci. 36, 3189–3195 (2001).
- Corrosion and Interdiffusion in a Ni/Fe–Cr–Al Couple Used for the Anode Side of Multi-Layered Interconnector for SOFC Applications
Oxidation of Metals
Volume 57, Issue 1-2 , pp 1-12
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- ferritic steel
- solid-oxide fuel cell
- contact resistance
- Ni plating
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Institute for Materials and Processes in Energy Systems, Forschungszentrum Jülich, 52425, Jülich, Germany
- 2. University of Mining and Metallurgy, Al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059, Kraków, Poland