Determination of the degree of substitution (DS) of mixed cellulose esters by elemental analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Equations for transforming the results of elemental analysis (EA) into degree of substitution (DS) values for aliphatic cellulose esters were developed. The equations allow one to determine the DS of cellulose derivatives bearing not only one but also two different acyl substituents. Error transmission studies revealed that the accuracy of the DS-values for a pure sample depends on both the number of carbon atoms in the substituents and on the uncertainty of the EA, especially from the hydrogen content. This method provides accurate DS-values (±0.10 in most cases) if H-content determinations are within ±0.1%.
- Buchanan CM, Hyatt JA, Lowman DW. 1987 Two-dimensional NMR of polysaccharides. Spectral assignments of cellulose triesters. Macromolecules 20, 2750.
- Lowman DW. 1998 Characterization of cellulose esters by solutionstate and solid-state NMR spectroscopy. ACS Symp Ser 688, 131-162.
- Mansson P, Samuelson B. 1981 Quantitative determination of Oacetyl and other O-acyl groups in cellulosic material. Svensk Papperstidning 84, R15-R16 and R24.
- Otto AH. 1994 Critical situations at the determination of the degree of substitution for amylose compounds via their carbon content. Starch/Stärke 46, 257-262.
- Samaranayake G, Glasser WG. 1993 Cellulose derivatives with low DS: II. analysis of alkanoates. Carbohydrate Polym 22, 79-86.
- Vaca-Garcia C, Thiebaud S, Borredon ME, Gozzelino G. 1998 Cellulose esterification with fatty acids and acetic anhydride in lithium chloride/N,N-dimethylacetamide medium. J Am Oil Chem Soc 75, 315-319.
- Determination of the degree of substitution (DS) of mixed cellulose esters by elemental analysis
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 225-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire de Chimie Agro-Industrielle, (UMR 1010 INRA/INP-ENSIACET) Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'lngéeurs en Arts Chimiques et Technologiques, Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse, 118, route de Narbonne, 31077, Toulouse Cedex 04, France