Ozone Dry Deposition Velocities for Coastal Waters
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Air-sea exchange rates for ozone were measured by the eddy correlation technique at a site on the north Norfolk coast in the UK. The average surface resistance to ozone uptake was found to be, rs(O3) = 1,000 ± 100 s m-1. Micrometeorological measurements of trace gas fluxes to ocean surfaces are rare but a review of available measurements suggests that we can constrain sea water surface resistance for ozone to between 1,000 (Regener (1974), and this work) and 1,890 s m-1 (Lenschow et al., 1982), yielding surface deposition velocities between 0.53 and 1.0 mm s-1. These values are more than an order of magnitude greater than can be explained by laboratory determined mass accommodation coefficients for ozone to water. The importance of dry deposition with respect to process air-sea exchange models is highlighted. A trend in surface deposition velocity with wind speed was also observed supporting a surface chemical enhancement mechanism of ozone uptake which in turn is enhanced by near surface mixing processes.
- Aldaz, L. (1969) Flux measurements of atmospheric ozone over land and water. J. Geophys. Res. 74: pp. 6943-6946
- Coe, H., Williams, McFiggans, G., Gallagher, M.W., Beswick, K. M., Bower, K. N. and Choularton, T. W.: 2000, ‘The behaviour of ultra-fine particles in rural and marine air masses’, J. Atmos. Res. (in press).
- Galbally, I. E., Roy, E. C. (1980) Destruction of ozone at the earth's surface. Quart. J. Royal Meteorol. Soc. 106: pp. 599-620
- Ganzeveld, L., Lelieveld, J. (1995) Dry deposition parameterisation in a chemistry general circulation model and its influence on the distribution of reactive trace gases. J. Geophys. Res. 100: pp. 20999-21012
- Garland, J. A. (1977) The dry deposition of sulphur dioxide to land and water surfaces. Proceed. of the Royal Society of London, Series A. 354: pp. 245-268
- Garland, J. A., Penkett, S. A. (1976) Absorption of peroxyacetyl nitrate and ozone by natural surfaces. Atmos. Environ. 10: pp. 1127-1131
- Garland, J. A. (1980) The mechanism of dry deposition of ozone to seawater surfaces. J. Geophys. Res. 85: pp. 7488-7492
- Güsten, H., Heinrich, G., Schmidt, R. H., Schurath, U. (1992) A novel ozone sensor for direct eddy flux measurements. J. Atmos. Chem. 14: pp. 73-84
- Hauglustaine, D. A., Granier, C., Brasseur, G. P., Megie, G. (1994) The importance of atmospheric chemistry in the calculation of radiative forcing on the climate system. J. Geophys. Res. 99: pp. 1173-1186
- Hicks, B. B., Liss, P. S. (1976) Transfer of SO2 and other reactive gases across the air-sea interface. Tellus 28: pp. 348-354
- Horst, T. W.: 1997, ‘The footprint for estimation of atmosphere-surface exchange fluxes by eddycorrelation and profile techniques’, Proceed. of the Symp. on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, 77th Annual Meeting, 2–7 Feb. 1997, Long Beach, CA, U.S.A.
- Jenkins, G. S. (1999) Examining the sensitivity of Earth's climate to the removal of ozone, landmasses and enhanced ocean heat transport in the GENESIS global climate model. Global Planet. Change 20: pp. 257-279
- Lenschow, D. H., Pearson, R., Stankov, B. B. (1982) Measurements of ozone vertical flux to ocean and forest. J. Geophys. Res. 87: pp. 8833-8837
- Liss, P. S., Merlivat, L. Air-sea Gas Exchange Rates: Introduction and Synthesis. In: Buat-Menard, P. eds. (1986) The Role of Air-Sea Exchange in Geochemical Cycling. D. Reidel, Hingham, Mass., pp. 113-129
- McFiggans, G., Plane, J. M. C., Allan, B. J., Carpenter, L. J., Coe, H. and O'Dowd, C.: 2000, ‘A modelling study of iodine chemistry in the marine boundary layer’, J. Geophys. Res. (In press).
- McKay, W. A., Stephens, B. A., Dollar, G. D. (1992) Laboratory measurements of ozone deposition to sea water and other saline solutions. Atmos. Environ. 26A: pp. 3105-3110
- Monks, P. S., Salisbury, G., Holland, G., Penkett, S. A., Ayers, G. P. (2002) A seasonal comparison of ozone photochemistry in the remote marine boundary layer. Atmos. Environ. 16: pp. 2547-2561
- Penkett, S. A., Plane, J. M. C., Comes, F. J., Clemitshaw, K. C., Coe, H. (1999) The Weybourne Atmospheric Observatory. J. Atmos. Chem. 33: pp. 107-110
- Paulson, C. A. (1970) The mathematical representation of wind speed and temperature profiles in the unstable atmospheric surface layer. J. Appl. Meteorol. 9: pp. 857-861
- Regener, V. H. (1974) Destruction of atmospheric ozone at the ocean surface. Archiv. Met and Geoph. Bioklim., Ser A 21: pp. 131-135
- Schwartz, S.: 1992, ‘Factors Governing Dry Deposition of Gases to Surface Water’, in Schwartz, W. and Slinn (Coordinators), Precipitation Scavenging and Atmosphere-Surface Exchange, pp. 789–801.
- Sillman, S., Samson, P. J., Masters, J. M. (1993) Ozone production in urban plumes transported over water — photochemical model and case studies in the northeastern and midwestern united states. J. Geophys. Res. 98: pp. 12687-12699
- Tiefenau, H., Fabian, P. (1972) The specific ozone destruction at the ocean surface and its dependence on horizontal wind velocity from profile measurements. Archiv. Met and Geoph. Bioklim., Ser A 21: pp. 399-412
- Webb, E. K., Pearman, G. I., Leuning, R. (1980) Correction of flux measurements for density effects due to heat and water vapour transfer. Quart. J. Royal Meteorol. Soc. 106: pp. 85-100
- Wesely, M. L., Cook, D. R., Williams, R. M. (1981) Field measurement of small ozone fluxes to snow, wet bare soil, and lake water. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 20: pp. 459-471
- Ozone Dry Deposition Velocities for Coastal Waters
Water, Air and Soil Pollution: Focus
Volume 1, Issue 5-6 , pp 233-242
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- dry deposition
- eddy correlation
- surface resistance
- Industry Sectors