Measurement of Technical Efficiency of Public Hospitals in Kenya: Using Data Envelopment Analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), there is a huge knowledge gap of health facilities performance. The objective of this study is to measure relative technical efficiencies of 54 public hospitals in Kenya using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique. 14 (26%) of the public hospitals were found to be technically inefficient. The study singled out the inefficient hospitals and provided the magnitudes of specific input reductions or output increases needed to attain technical efficiency.
- Mooney, G. H., Economics, Medicine and Health Care, Harvester Wheatsheaf, New York, 1986.
- Mills, A., The economics of hospital in developing countries: Part I. Health Policy Plann. 5:107–117, 1990.
- Mills, A., The economics of hospital in developing countries: Part II. Health Policy Plann. 5:203–218, 1990.
- Mills, A., Kapalamula, J., and Chisimbi, S., The cost of the district hospital: A case study in Malawi. Bull WHO 71(3/4):329–339, 1993.
- Kirigia, J. M., Fox-Rushby, J., and Mills, A., A cost analysis of Kilifi and Malindi Public Hospitals in Kenya. Afr. J. Health Sci. 5(2):79–84, 1998.
- Kenya Government, Recurrent Expenditures, Kenya Government, Nairobi, 1998.
- Kirigia, J. M., Sambo, L.G., and Lambo, E., Are public hospitals in Kwazulu-Natal province of South Africa technically efficient? Afr. J. Health Sci., in press.
- WHO, The World Health Report 2000–Health Systems: Improving Performance, WHO, Geneva, 2000.
- Health Information System, Hospital Statistics, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, 2000.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., and Rhodes, E., Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. Eur. J. Oper. Res. 2:429–444, 1978.
- Dawyne, A., Banks, Cost and access among non-profit hospitals in jurisdictions with and without public hospitals. App. Econ. 28:875–881, 1996.
- Coelli, T., A Guide to DEAP Version 2.1: A Data Envelopment Analysis Computer Program, Center for Efficiency and Productivity Analysis, Working Paper 96/08, University of NewEngland, Amidale, 1996.
- Kirigia, J. M., Sambo, L.G., and Scheel, H., Technical Efficiency of Clinics in Kwazulu-Natal Province of South Africa, Mimeo, WHO, Harare, 2000.
- Measurement of Technical Efficiency of Public Hospitals in Kenya: Using Data Envelopment Analysis
Journal of Medical Systems
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 39-45
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- hospital efficiency
- health efficiency
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. World Health Organisation, Regional Office for Africa, Medical School, Parirenyatwa Hospital, P.O. Box BE 773, Harare, Zimbabwe
- 2. Operational Research and Systems, Warwick Business School, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England