The Canadian Experience with Employment Equity Legislation
- M. S. Mentzer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Employment equity, a term originating with the Employment Equity Act of 1986,is a concept roughly analogous to affirmative action in the United States. Thelegislative history of employment equity in Canada is discussed, including theevents leading to the passing of revised legislation, the Employment EquityAct of 1995. A description follows of provincial-level initiatives in Ontario,where employment equity legislation was repealed due to a change inlegislative control.
- Agócs, C. (1986) Affirmative action, Canadian style: A reconnaissance. Canadian Public Policy 12: pp. 148-162
- Agócs, C., Burr, C., Somerset, F. (1992) Employment Equity: Co-Operative Strategies for Organizational Change. Prentice-Hall Canada, Scarborough, Ontario
- Burke, R. J., Black, S. (1997) Save the males: Backlash in organizations. Journal of Business Ethics 16: pp. 933-942
- Canada. Minister of Supply and Services (1984). Report of the Commission on Equality in Employment. Judge Rosalie Silberman Abella, Commissioner. Ottawa.
- Canada. Minister of Supply and Services (1990). Employment Equity Act: 1990: Annual Report for the Year Ending December 1989: Toronto-Dominion Bank: #5323. Ottawa. [Issued by Employment and Immigration Canada.]
- Canada. House of Commons (1992). A Matter of Fairness: Report of the Special Committee on the Review of the Employment Equity Act. Alan Redway, Chairman. Ottawa.
- Annual Report: Employment Equity Act: 1999. Hull, Québec
- Canada. Employment and Immigration Canada (no date). A Profile of Visible Minorities in Canada. Unpublished report. Ottawa.
- Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Constitution Act, 1982, Part I.
- Côté, M. G. (1991). ‘Visible minorities in the Canadian labor force.’ Perspectives, Summer issue: 17–26. [Published by Statistics Canada.]
- Employment Equity Act, 1986. S.C., 1986, c. 31.
- Employment Equity Act, 1995. S.C., 1995, c. 44.
- Falkenberg, L. E., Boland, L. (1997) Eliminating the barriers to employment equity in the Canadian workplace. Journal of Business Ethics 16: pp. 963-975
- Fine, S. (1990). ‘Employers pad lists, disabled contend.’ Globe and Mail [Toronto], 5 November 1990: A1-2.
- Globe and Mail [Toronto] (1993a). ‘A quota is a quota is a quota’ [editorial]. 18 June 1993: A18.
- Globe and Mail [Toronto] (1993b). ‘A snapshot of what's required to comply.’ 17 June 1993: B3.
- Globe and Mail [Toronto] (1993c). ‘Ontario tables employment equity laws.’ 17 June 1993: B3.
- Globe and Mail [Toronto] (1995). ‘Ontario to scrap equity law.’ 20 July 1995: A1 and A3.
- Globe and Mail [Toronto] (1997). ‘Ontario MPPs head home to rest up for fall fights.’ 27 June 1997: A3.
- Hum, D., Simpson, W. (1999) Wage opportunities for visible minorities in Canada. Canadian Public Policy 25: pp. 379-394
- Jain, H. C. (1990) Affirmative action/employment equity programs in Canada: Issues and polices. Labor Law Journal 41: pp. 487-492
- Jain, H. C., Hackett, R. D. (1989) Measuring effectiveness of employment equity programs in Canada: Public policy and a survey. Canadian Public Policy 15: pp. 189-204
- Leck, J. D., Onge, S. S., LaLancette, I. (1995) Wage gap changes among organizations subject to the Employment Equity Act. Canadian Public Policy 21: pp. 387-400
- Mentzer, M. S., Fizel, J. L. (1992) Affirmative action and ethnic inequality in Canada: The impact of the Employment Equity Act of 1986. Ethnic Groups 9: pp. 203-217
- Stewart, P., Drakich, J. (1995) Factors related to organizational change and equity for women faculty in Ontario universities. Canadian Public Policy 21: pp. 429-448
- Weinfeld, M. (1981) The development of affirmative action in Canada. Canadian Ethnic Studies 13: pp. 23-39
- The Canadian Experience with Employment Equity Legislation
International Journal of Value-Based Management
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 35-50
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- employment equity
- legislative control
- M. S. Mentzer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Commerce, University of Saskatchewan, 25 Campus Drive, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, S7N 5A7