Deterioration Mode of Barium-Containing NOx Storage Catalyst
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Barium-containing NO x storage catalyst showed serious deactivation under thermal exposure at high temperatures. To elucidate the thermal deterioration of the NO x storage catalyst, four types of model catalyst, Pt/Al2O3, Ba/Al2O3, Pt–Ba/Al2O3, and a physical mixture of Pt/Al2O3 + Ba/Al2O3 were prepared and their physicochemical properties such as BET, NO TPD, TGA/DSC, XRD, and XPS were evaluated while the thermal aging temperature was increased from 550 to 1050°C. The fresh Pt–Ba/Al2O3 showed a sorption capacity of 3.35 wt%/g-cat. but the aged one revealed a reduced capacity of 2.28 wt%/g-cat. corresponding to 68% of the fresh one. It was found that this reduced sorption capacity was directly related to the deterioration of the NO x storage catalyst by thermal aging. The Ba on Ba/Al2O3 and Pt–Ba/Al2O3 catalysts began to interact with alumina to form Ba–Al solid alloy above 600°C and then transformed into stable BaAl2O4 having a spinel structure. However, no phase transition was observed in the Pt/Al2O3 catalyst having no barium component, even after aging at 1050°C.
- M.S. Brogan, A.D. Clark and R.J. Brisley, SAE 980933 (1998).
- Takahashi, N., Shinjoh, H., Iijima, T., Suzuki, T., Yamazaki, K., Miyoshi, N., Matsumoto, S., Tanizawa, T., Tanaka, T., Tateishi, S., Kasahara, K. (1996) Catal. Today 27: pp. 63
- Fridell, E., Skoglundh, M., Westerberg, B., Johansson, S., Smeller, G. (1999) J. Catal. 183: pp. 196
- T. Kobayashi, T. Yamada and K. Kayano, SAE 970745 (1997).
- Bogner, W., Kramer, M., Krutzsch, B., Pischinger, S., Voigtlander, D., Wenninger, G., Wirbeleit, F., Brogan, M.S., Brisley, R.J., Webster, D.E. (1995) Appl. Catal. B 7: pp. 153
- Balcon, S., Potvin, C., Salin, L., Tempere, J.F., Djéga-Mariadassou, G. (1999) Catal. Lett. 60: pp. 39
- T. Nakatsuji and R. Yasukwa, SAE 980932 (1998).
- Mahzoul, H., Brilhac, J.F., Gilot, P. (1999) Appl. Catal. B 20: pp. 47
- N. Fekete, R. Kemmler, D. Voigtlander, B. Krutzsch, E. Zimmer, G. Wenninger,W. Strehlau, J.A.A. van den Tillaart, J. Leyrer, E.S. Lox and W. Muller,SAE 970746 (1997).
- Thomas, J.M., Thomas, W.J. (1997) Principles and Practice of Heterogeneous Catalysis. VCH, Weinheim
- Swanson, T. (1953) Natl. Bur. Stand. Circ. 539: pp. 31
- Hodjati, S., Bernhardt, P., Petit, C., Pitchon, V., Kiennemann, A. (1998) Appl. Catal. B 19: pp. 209
- C.D. Wagner, W.M. Riggs, L.E. Davis and J.F. Moulder, A Reference Book of Standard Data: For Use in X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (Perkin-Elmer, Eden Prairie, MN).
- Deterioration Mode of Barium-Containing NOx Storage Catalyst
Volume 77, Issue 1-3 , pp 21-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- NO x storage catalyst
- deactivation mode
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Chemical Engineering, Ajou University, San 5, Wonchon, Suwon, Kyungki, Korea
- 2. Heesung Engelhard Co., R&D Center, 16B-12, 455, Moknae, Ansan, Kyungki, Korea
- 3. Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology, Yusong, Taejon, 305-600, Korea