Designing Work Oriented Infrastructures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Healthcare is making huge investmentsin information systems like Picture Archivingand Communication Systems (PACS) andRadiological Information Systems (RIS).Implementing such systems in the hospitals hasbeen problematic, the number of systems inregular use is low, and where the systems arein use the benefits gained are far below whathas been expected. This paper analyzes andidentifies a number of challenges one will beconfronted with when implementing PACS and RIS.To deal with these problems it is suggested toconsider them as ``work orientedinfrastructures''. This term is supposed to drawour attention to the fact that these systemshave the same general characteristics astraditional infrastructures at the same time asthey are developed to support specific worktasks. These are, and should be, designed andimplemented primarily by their users based ontheir actual use of the technology. Standardsare equally important for both work orientedand other kinds of infrastructures. But in thefirst case, the standardization process is moreof a ``cleaning up'' type which follows a periodwhere the infrastructures have been changed indifferent ways in different regions or communities.
- Akrich, M. (1992): The De-scription of Technical Objects. InW.E. Bijker and J. Law (eds.): Shaping Technology Building Society: Studies in Socio-technical Change. Massachusetts, London, U.K.: MIT Press Cambridge, pp. 205–225.
- Bellotti, V. and S. Bly (1996): Walking Away from the Desktop Computer: Distributed Collaboration and Mobility in a Product Design Team. Proceedings of the Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work CSCW'96, pp. 209–218.
- Berg, M. (1999): Accumulating and Coordinating: Occasions for Information Technologies in Medical Work. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW): The Journal of Collaborative Computing, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 373–401.
- Berg, M. and C. Bowker (1997): The Multiple Bodies of the Medical Record. The Sociological Quarterly, vol. 38, pp. 511–535.
- Bowers, J., G. Button and W. Sharrock (1995): Workflow fromWithin and Without. In H. Marmolin, Y. Sundblad and K. Schmidt (eds.): Proceeding of the Fourth European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work ECSCW'95. Sweden: Stockholm, pp. 51–67 (September).
- Bowker, G. (1994): Science on the Run: Information Management and Industrial Geophysics ant Schlumberger, 1920-1940. MIT Press.
- Bowker, G. and S.L. Star (1999): Sorting Things Out. Classification and its Consequences. Boston, MA: The MIT Press.
- Bryan, S.,G. Weatherburn, J. Watkins, J. Keen, N. Muris and M. Buxton (1998): The Evaluation of a Hospital-Wide Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS). Report to the Department of Health of Brunel University.
- Brown, J.S. and P. Duguid (1994): Borderline Issues: Social and material Aspects of Design. Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 9, pp. 3–36.
- Button, G. and R. Harper (1996): The Relevance of “Work-Practice” for Design. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW): The Journal of Collaborative Computing, no. 4, pp. 263–280.
- Button, G. and W. Sharrock (1997): The Production of Order and the Order of Production: Possibilities for Distributed Organisations, Work and Technology in the Print Industry. In J. Hughes et al. (eds.): Proceedings of the Fifth European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work ECSCW'97, pp. 1–16.
- Callon, M. (1986): Some Elements of Sociology of Translation: Domestication of the Scallops and the Fishermen. In J. Law (eds.): Power, Action and Belief: A New Sociology of Knowledge. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, pp. 196–233.
- Ciborra, C. (1996): Improvisation and Information Technology in organizations. In J.I. DeGross, S. Jarvenpaa, A. Srinivasan (eds.): Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Information Systems (December).
- Graham, I., C. Lobet-Maris and D. Charles (1996): EDI IMPACT: Social & Economic Impact of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI). Report for European Commission. http://www.ed.ac. uk/~ehja36/tedis_c9.html.
- Hanseth, O. (1996): Information Infrastructure Development: Cultivating the Installed Base. Studies in the Use of Information Technologies, no. 16. Department of Informatics, Göteborg University.
- Hanseth, O., E. Monteiro and M. Hatling (1996): Developing Information Infrastructure: The Tension Between Standardization and Flexibility. Science, Technology & Human Values, vol. 21, no. 4. Sage Periodicals Press, pp. 407–426.
- Hanseth, O. and E. Monteiro (1996): Changing Irreversible Networks: Institionalisation and Infrastructure. Proceedings of the Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia IRIS20. Sweden: Lökeberg, pp. 21–41 (August).
- Hughes, J., V. King, T. Rodden and H. Anderssen (1994): Moving Out from the Control Room: Ethnography in System Design. Proceedings of the Computer Supported Cooperative Work CSCW'94, vol. 1, pp. 429–439.
- Jewett, T. and R. Kling (1991): The Dynamics of Computerization in a Social Science Research Team: A Case Study of Infrastructures, Strategies and Skills. Social Science Computer Review, no 9, pp. 246–275.
- Latour, B. (1987): Science in Action. Open University Press.
- Laurin, S. (1998): Civil Beredskapsplanering Inom röntgendiagnostik: Andrade Förutsättningar Genom Digital Bild Och PACS (In Swedish). Report, Socialstyrelsen, Sweden (March).
- Law, J. (1992): NOTES on the Theory of the Actor-Network: Ordering, Strategy, and Heterogeneity. Systems Practice, vol. 5. no. 4, pp. 379–393.
- Lundberg N. (1999): Impacts of PACS Technology on Medical Work. In S.C. Haynes (ed.): Proceedings of the International ACM SIGGROUP Conference on Supporting Group Work GROUP99. USA: Phoenix, pp. 169–178.
- Lundberg, N. and T. Sandahl (1999): Artefacts in Work Practice. In T.K. Käkölä (eds.): Proceedings of the 22th IRIS. Finland: Jyväskylä, pp. 363–372.
- Monteiro, E. (1998): Scaling Information Infrastructure: The Case of the Next Generation IP in Internet. The Information Society, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 229–245.
- Monteiro, E. and O. Hanseth (1995): Social Shaping of Information Infrastructure: On Being Specific About Technology. InW.J. Orlikowski, G. Walsham, M.R. Jones and J.I. DeGross (eds.): Information Technology and Changes in Organisational Work. Chapman & Hall, pp. 325–343.
- Nygren, E. and P. Henriksson (1992): Reading the Medical Record. I. Analysis of Physicians' Ways of Reading the Medical Record. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 39, pp. 1–12. Elsvier Science Publishers.
- Orlikowski, W.J. (1996): Improvising Organizational Transformation Over Time: A Situated Change Perspective. Information Systems Research, vol. 7, pp. 3–92.
- Peissl, H.T. and C. Wild (1997): Das Digitale Krankenhaus. Eine Technikfolgen-Abschätzung Moderner Telekommunikationstechnologien im Krankenhaus am Beispiel Des Donauspitals/ SMZO. Vienna, Austria: Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften am Institut für Technikfolgen-Abschätzung
- Schmidt, K. and C. Simone (1996): Coordination Mechanisms: Towards a Conceptual Foundation of CSCW Systems Design. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW): The Journal of Collaborative Computing, vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp. 155–200.
- Star, S.L., G. Bowker and L. Neumann (in press): “Transparency Beyond the Individual Level of Scale: Convergence Between Information Artifacts and Communities of Practice.” In A.P. Bishop, B.P. Buttenfield and N.V. House (eds.): Digital Library Use: Social Practice in Design and Evaluation. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Star, S.L. and K. Ruhleder (1994): Steps Towards an Ecology of Infrastructure: Complex Problems in Design and Access for Large-Scale Collaborative Systems. Information Systems Research, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 111–134.
- Strauss, A., S. Fagerhaugh, B. Suczek and C. Wiener (1985): Social Organization of Medical Work. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Suchman, L. and R. Trigg (1991): Understanding Practice: Video as a Medium for Reflection and Design. In J. Greenbaum and M. Kyng (eds.): Design at Work - Cooperative Design of Computer Systems. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp. 65–90.
- Tellioglu, H. and I. Wagner (1996): Work Practices Surrounding PACS. The Politics of Space in Hospitals. Presented in ENACT Workshop in Hamburg, August.
- Designing Work Oriented Infrastructures
Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW)
Volume 10, Issue 3-4 , pp 347-372
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- information infrastructure
- work practice
- Industry Sectors