Production of low-energy antiprotons
- D. Möhl
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The production, collection and deceleration of antiprotons is reviewed with the aim of establishing guidelines for the design of a simple yet efficient source of stopped antiprotons. A high-energy (20–100 GeV) high-intensity (∼1013 protons/pulse) proton accelerator is needed to produce antiprotons in copious numbers. A “passive” conversion-target consisting of a thin iridium rod embedded in graphite, and a magnetic-horn type lens to collect the antiproton flux from the target represent a good compromise between yield and reliability. To transport the flux to low energy a large-acceptance cooling and deceleration ring working up to an energy equal to one-eighth to one-tenth of the primary proton energy is required. Stochastic cooling (at high energy) and electron cooling (at lower energy) are indispensable for providing low-energy beams of useful density.
- B. Chirikov, V. Tayurski, H. Möhring, J. Ranft and V. Schirmeister, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. 144 (1977) 129. CrossRef
- C. Hojvat and A. Van Ginneken, Nucl. Instrum. Meth. 206 (1983) 67. CrossRef
- C. Johnson, in: Proc. Antimatter 87, Karlsruhe, 1987, eds. H. Poth and A. Wolf (J.C. Baltzer, Basel, 1988) p. 21.
- F. Mills, in: Antiproton Science and Technology, eds. B. Augenstein, B. Bonner, F. Mills and M. Nieto (World Scientific, Singapore, 1988) p. 169.
- F. Cline, University of California Los Angeles report UCLA Note ECP-022 (1987).
- B. Maglich, in: Proc. Int. Symp. on Aneutronic Fusion(Princeton University, 1987).
- D. Boimont, M. Frauchinger, T. Kurtya, M. Lubrano, R. Maccaferri, S. Maury, L. Nikitina and J. Schnurriger, CERN internal report PS 94-02 (AR).
- S. Maury, The Antiproton Decelerator, these Proceedings, and S. Maury (ed.), CERN internal report PS 95-36 (AR).
- M. Church and J. Marriner, Annu. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 43 (1993) 253. CrossRef
- Production of low-energy antiprotons
Volume 109, Issue 1-4 , pp 33-41
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- D. Möhl (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. PS Division, CERN, CH-1211, Geneva 23, Switzerland