A Kripke Semantics for the Logic of Gelfand Quantales
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Gelfand quantales are complete unital quantales with an involution, *, satisfying the property that for any element a, if a ⊙ b ≤ a for all b, then a ⊙ a* ⊙ a = a. A Hilbert-style axiom system is given for a propositional logic, called Gelfand Logic, which is sound and complete with respect to Gelfand quantales. A Kripke semantics is presented for which the soundness and completeness of Gelfand logic is shown. The completeness theorem relies on a Stone style representation theorem for complete lattices. A Rasiowa/Sikorski style semantic tableau system is also presented with the property that if all branches of a tableau are closed, then the formula in question is a theorem of Gelfand Logic. An open branch in a completed tableaux guarantees the existence of an Kripke model in which the formula is not valid; hence it is not a theorem of Gelfand Logic.
- Alan Ross Anderson and Nuel D. Belnap, Jr., Entailment: The Logic of Relevance and Necessity, volume I, Princeton University Press, 1975.
- Alan Ross Anderson, Nuel D. Belnap Jr., and J. Michael Dunn, Entailment: The Logic of Relevance and Necessity, volume II, Princeton University Press, 1992.
- Gerard Allwein and J. Michael Dunn, 'Kripke models for linear logic', Journal of Symbolic Logic 58: 514-545, 1993.
- Gerard Allwein, The Duality of Algebraic and Kripke Models for Linear Logic, PhD thesis, Indiana University, 1992.
- Gerard Allwein and Wendy MacCaull, 'Duality for complete lattices', Technical report, Indiana University, 1998.
- Carolyn Brown and Douglas Gurr, 'A representation theorem for quantales', Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 85: 27-42, 1993.
- Brian F. Chellas, Modal Logic, an Introduction, Cambridge University Press, 1980.
- J. Michael Dunn, 'Algebraic completeness results for r-mingle and its extensions', Journal of Symbolic Logic 35:1-13, 1970.
- J. Michael Dunn, 'Gaggle theory: An abstraction of galois connections and residuation with applications to negation and various logical operations', in Logics in AI, Proceedings European Workshop JELIA, LNCS 478, Springer-Verlag, 1990.
- J. Michael Dunn, 'Partial gaggle theory applied to logics with restricted structural rules', in K. Došen and P. Schroeder-Heister, editors, Substructural Logics, 1993.
- Dov Gabbay, 'Fibered semantics and the weaving of logics. Part 1: Modal and intuitionistic logics', Journal of Symbolic Logic 61:1055-1119, 1996.
- C.A.R. Hoare and He Jifeng, 'A weakest pre-specification', Inform. Process. Lett. 24: 127-132, 1987.
- Wendy MacCaull, 'Relational proof theory for linear and other substructural logics', Journal of the Interest Group of Pure and Applied Logic 5:673-697, 1997.
- Wendy MacCaull, 'Relational semantics and a relational proof system for full Lambek calculus', Journal of Symbolic Logic 63:623-637, 1998.
- C. J. Mulvey and M. Nawaz, 'Quantales: Quantal sets', in Ulrich Hoehle and Erich Peter Klement, editors, Non-Classical Logics and Their Applications to Fuzzy Subsets, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1995.
- Chris Mulvey and Joan Wick Pelletier, 'The quantization of the calculus of relations', in “Canadian Mathematical Society Conference Proceedings”, American Mathematical Society, Providence, volume 13, pages 345-360, 1992.
- Chris Mulvey and Joan Wick Pelletier, 'The quantization of points', to appear in Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 2000.
- Chris Mulvey, &, Suppl. Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo Ser. II 12:99-104, 1986.
- Hiroakira Ono and Yuichi Komuri, 'Logics without the contraction rule', Journal of Symbolic Logic 50:169-201, 1985.
- Hiroakira Ono, 'Semantics for substructural logics', in K. Došen and P. Schroeder-Heister, editors, Substructural Logics, pages 259-291, 1993.
- Ewa Or9łowska, 'Relational proof system for relevant logics', Journal of Symbolic Logic 57:1425-1440, 1992.
- Ewa Or9łowska, 'Relational semantics for logics: formulas are relations', in Jan Wolenski, editor, Philosophical Logic in Poland, pages 167-186, Kluwer, 1994.
- Ewa Or9łowska, 'Relational environment for semigroup logics', in André Fuhrmann and Hans Rott, editors, Logic, Action, and Information, Essays on Logic in Philosophy and Artificial Intelligence, pages 351-391, Walter de Gruyter, (Berlin, New York), 1996.
- J. Wick Pelletier and J. RosickÝ, 'Simple involutive quantales', Journal of Algebra 195:367-386, 1997.
- H. A. Priestley, 'Ordered topological spaces and the representation of distributive lattices', in Proceedings of the London Mathematical Society, volume 24, pages 507-530, 1972.
- Richard Routley and Robert K. Meyer, 'The semantics of entailment', in H. Leblanc, editor, Truth, Syntax, and Modality, pages 194-243, North Holland, 1973.
- Kimmo Rosenthal, Quantales and their applications, Pitman Research Notes in Mathematics Series, Longman Scientific and Technical, Copublished in the United States with John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1990.
- Helena Rasiowa and Roman Sikorski, The Mathematics of Metamathematics, Polish Scientific Publishers, 1963.
- M.H. Stone, 'The theory of representation for Boolean algebras', Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 40:37-111, 1936.
- Alasdair Urquhart, 'A topological representation theory for lattices', Algebra Universalis 8:45-58, 1978.
- Johan van Benthem, 'Correspondence theory', in Handbook of Philosophical Logic, Vol. II, Synthese Lib. 165, pages 167-247, D. Reidel Publishing Company, 1984.
- A Kripke Semantics for the Logic of Gelfand Quantales
Volume 68, Issue 2 , pp 173-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- lattice representations
- Kripke semantics
- semantic tableau