Neural network prediction in a system for optimizing simulations
Neural networks have been widely used for both prediction and classification. Back-propagation is commonly used for training neural networks, although the limitations associated with this technique are well documented. Global search techniques such as simulated annealing, genetic algorithms and tabu search have also been used for this purpose. The developers of these training methods, however, have focused on accuracy rather than training speed in order to assess the merit of new proposals. While speed is not important in settings where training can be done off-line, the situation changes when the neural network must be trained and used on-line. This is the situation when a neural network is used in the context of optimizing a simulation. In this paper, we describe a training procedure capable of achieving a sufficient accuracy level within a limited training time. The procedure is first compared with results from the literature. We then use data from the simulation of a jobshop to compare the performance of the proposed method with several training variants from a commercial package.
- Gallant, R.A. and White, H. (1992) On learning the derivatives of an unknown mapping with multilayer feedforward networks, in Artificial Neural Networks, Blackwell, Cambridge, MA, 206-223.
- Goffe, W.L., Ferrier, G.D. and Rogers, J. (1994) Global optimization of statistical functions with simulated annealing. Journal of Econometrics, 60, 65-99.
- Glover, F. (1998) A template for scatter search and path relinking, in Artificial Evolution, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1363, Hao, J.-K., Lutton, E., Ronald, E., Schoenauer, M. and Snyers, D. (eds.), Springer-Verlag, pp. 13-54.
- Glover, F. and Kelly, J. (1998) Combining simulation and optimization for improved business decisions. Colorado Business Review, LXIV,(4), 2-3.
- Glover, F., Laguna, M. and Martí, R. (1999) Scatter search, in Theory and Applications of Evolutionary Computation: Recent Trends, Ghosh, A. and Tsutsui, S. (eds.), Springer-Verlag, (to appear).
- Laguna, M. (2000) Scatter search, in Handbook of Applied Optimization, Pardalos, P.M. and Resende, M.G.C. (eds.), Oxford Academic Press, (to appear).
- Laguna, M. and Marti, R. (2000) “The OptQuest Callable Library”, in Optimization Software Class Libraries, Voss, S. and Woodruff, D.L. (eds), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA (to appear).
- Masters, T. (1995) Neural, Novel and Hybrid Algorithms for Time Series Prediction, John Wiley.
- Nelder, J.A. and Mead, R. (1965) A simplex method for function minimization. Computer Journal, 7, 308-313.
- Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T. and Flannery, B.P. (1992) Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press.
- Sharda, R. and Rampal, R. (1995) Neural networks and management science/operations research. Oklahoma State University, http://catt.okstate.edu/itorms/guide/nnpaper.html.
- Sharda, R. (1994) Neural networks for the MS/OR analyst: an application bibliography. Interfaces, 24(2), 116-130.
- Sexton, R.S., Alidaee, B., Dorsey, R.E., and Johnson, J.D. (1998) Global optimization for artificial neural networks: a tabu search application. European Journal of Operational Research, 106, 570-584.
- Sexton, R.S., Dorsey, R.E. and Johnson, J.D. (1999) Optimization of neural networks: a comparative analysis of the genetic algorithm and simulated annealing. European Journal of Operational Research, 114, 589-601.
- Neural network prediction in a system for optimizing simulations
Volume 34, Issue 3 , pp 273-282
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links