Human hair colonizing fungi in water sediments of India
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Out of 144 samples of water sediments, 183 isolates belonging to 9 genera and 22 species were isolated. Fifty-nine isolates of Acremonium, 26 of Chrysosporium indicum, 22 of Chrysosporium keratinophilum, 17 of Malbranchea sp. and 10 of Microsporum gypseum were recovered. Acremonium implicatum, Chrysosporium georgii, Chrysosporium xerophilum and Geomyces pannorum were reported for the first time from India.
- Chmel L, Hasilikova A, Harsco J, Vlacilikova A. The influence of some ecological factors on keratinophilic fungi in the soil. Sabouraudia 1972; 10: 26-34.
- Ali Shtayeh MS, Rana MF, Jamous. Keratinophilic fungi and related dermatophytes in polluted soil and water habitats. In: Kushwaha RKS & Guarro J, eds. Biology of dermatophytes and other keratinophilic fungi. Spain: RIAM 2000; 51-59.
- Ulfig K. Occurrence of keratinophilic fungi in waste and waste contaminated habitats. In: Kushwaha RKS & Guarro J, eds. Biology of dermatophytes and other keratinophilic fungi. Spain: RIAM 2000; 44-50.
- Ulfig K. Keratinophilic fungi in sewage and waters. Wydawnictwo PZITS 1986; 488: 43.
- Ulfig K. Keratinophilic fungi in waste water sediments. Roczniki PZH 1991; 42: 309-315.
- Ulfig K, Ulfig A. Keratinophilic fungi in bottom sediments of surface waters. J Med Vet Mycol 1990; 28: 419-422.
- Ulfig K, Guarro J, Cano J, Jene J, Vidal P, Figueras MJ. General assessment of the occurrence of keratinolytic fungi in river and marine beach sediments of Catalonian waters (Spain). Water, Air and Soil Pollution 1997; 94: 275-287.
- Nigam N, Kushwaha RKS. Ecology of soil inhabiting keratinophilic fungi with special reference to Chrysosporium. Rastogi Publications, India: 1993; 173-182.
- Katiyar S. Keratinomycetes from bottom sediments and their hair invasion ability. Ph.D. Thesis, Kanpur University, India 1998; 212 pp.
- Deshmukh SK. Keratinophilic fungi isolated from soils of Mumbai, India. Mycopathologia 1999; 146: 115-116. CrossRef
- Al-Musallam AA, Tan CS. Chrysosporium zonatum, A new keratinophilic fungus. Persoonia 1989; 14: 69-71.
- Ulfig K. Grzyby keratynofilne w osdach dennych wod powierzchmiowch. Acta Mycologia 1990; 23: 3-11.
- Ulfig K, Terakowski M, Plaza G, Kosarewicz O. Keratinolytic fungi in sewage sludge. Mycopathologia 1996; 136: 41-46. CrossRef
- Ulfig K. Selected groups of geophilic fungi in sediments of Catalonian waters as microorganisms of ecological and public health significance. Madrid: Ministerio de Education y Ciencia, 1992.
- Ulfig K. Preliminary studies on the growth and survival of selected pathogenic dermatophytes on sediments and sewage sludge (in Polish). Roczn PZH 1986; 37: 335-340.
- Human hair colonizing fungi in water sediments of India
Volume 152, Issue 2 , pp 81-84
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- keratinophilic fungi
- water sediments
- Industry Sectors