Larval development of Aeshna cyanea (Müller, 1764) (Odonata: Aeshnidae) in Central Italy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A three-year investigation was carried out on the life cycle of Aeshna cyanea (Müller, 1764) (Odonata, Aeshnidae) in temporary freshwater pools in Central Italy. The instars were discriminated by size and scatter plot, based on measurements of labium length, head width, metafemur length, forewing-pad length and total larval body length. The prolarvae instar was derived by Dyar's law. The mean increase value index between following and previous instar was between 1.26 and 1.33 for isometric variables, and around 1.96 for the wing-pad allometric variable. A. cyanea entered diapause mainly at the F-2 instar, placing it almost intermediate between the Southern Spain populations, which usually overwintered in the F-3 instar, and those of England and Central Europe, who spent their last winter in F-1. A. cyanea appeared to be a `summer species', as defined by Corbet (1962), and the population we studied had a semivoltine life cycle.
- Aoki, T., 1999. Larval development, emergence and seasonal regulation in Asiagomphus pryeri (Selys) (Odonata: Gomphidae). Hydrobiologia 394: 179–192.
- Carchini, G., 1983. Odonati (Odonata). Guide per il riconoscimento delle specie animali delle acque interne italiane. Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche AQ/1/98, 21, Verona. Corbet, P. S., 1962. A Biology of Dragonflies. H.P. & Witherby, London. 154
- Corbet, S. A., 1959. The larval development and emergence of Aeshna cyanea (müll.) (Odon., Aeshnidae). Ent. mon. Mag. 95: 241–245.
- Di Giovanni, M. V., E. Goretti, G. La Porta & D. Ceccagnoli, 2000. Larval development of Libellula depressa L., 1758, from pools in central Italy (Odonata: Libellulidae). Ital. J. Zool. 67: 343–348.
- Danks, H. V., 1987. Insect dormancy: an ecological perspective. Biol. Survey of Canada Monograph 1.
- Ferreras-Romero, M. & P. S. Corbet, 1995. Seasonal patterns of emergence in Odonata of a permanent stream in southwestern Europe. Aquat. Insects 17: 123–127.
- Ferreras-Romero, M. & V. Puchol-Caballero, 1995. Desarrollo del ciclo vital de Aeshna cyanea (Müller, 1764) (Odonata: Aeshnidae) en Sierra Morena (sur de España). Bol. Asoc. Esp. Ent. 19: 115–123.
- Hawking, J. H. & T. R. New, 1996. The development of dragonfly larvae (Odonata: Anisoptera) from two streams in north-eastern Victoria, Australia. Hydrobiologia 317: 13–30.
- Heidemann, H. & R. Seidenbusch, 1993. Die Libellenlarven Deutschlands und Frankreichs. Handbuch für Exuviensammler. Verlag Erna Bauer, Keltern.
- Norling, U., 1984. Life history patterns in the northern expansion of dragonflies. Adv. Odonatol. 2: 127–156.
- Robert, P. A., 1958. Les Libellules (Odonates). Neuchâtel, Delachaux & Niestlé.
- Schaller, F., 1960. Étude du développement post-embryonnaire d'Aeschna cyanea (Müll.). Ann. Sci. nat. Zool. 12: 751–868.
- Tillyard, R. J., 1917. The Biology of Dragonflies. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Wiggins, G. B., R. J. Mackay & I. M. Smith, 1980. Evolutionary and ecological strategies of animals in annual temporary pools. Arch. Hydrobiol. Suppl. 58: 97–206.
- Wigglesworth, W. B., 1972. The Principles of Insect Physiology. Chapman & Hall, London.
- Williams, W. D., 1985. Biotic adaptations in temporary lentic waters, with special reference to those in semi-arid and arid regions. Hydrobiologia 125: 85–110.
- Larval development of Aeshna cyanea (Müller, 1764) (Odonata: Aeshnidae) in Central Italy
Volume 457, Issue 1-3 , pp 149-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Aeshna cyanea
- Central Italy
- larval development
- Industry Sectors